Electric cutout to open headers?

blake44

Aug 19, 2008
I have an o/r x-pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers but it was customly welded on by the previous owner and for some reason my car isn't that loud. (or as loud as i want it to be at certain times)

I just wanted to know how much louder the electric cutout will be. The one that opens it at the headers where it's just straight engine coming out? Someone I know has this done on their truck where he hits a switch and it opens up at the headers I'm guessing. How much does that cost to buy the parts and install? I know most people say it's loud and obnoxious but since it's a switch it isn't permanent so I won't be obnoxious all the time lol

• Sponsors (?)

Before I put my catback on I ran my car straight prochamber and it sounded so beastly, and because the sound came after the crossover, it had some sort of tone to it. If it were possible I would run it like that all the time. Try it after the xpipe, I think it will be quite unique, although ive never heard a 4.6 with straight xpipe. Is is a true x or bassani style x? Would a cut out still have some sound going to the mufflers out the back? I would assume all the gas wouldnt go straight out the cutout, im sure that would affect the sound, half cut out, half muffler...:shrug:

:rlaugh: I ran my car with an open prochamber for a while just to change it up. I get so bored with my exhaust that a day with it loud makes me love the magnaflows that much more.

I had this back in the day. It will defiantly get louder, a lot louder, but not in a good way. Defiantly not something you want to drive around with either. I took them off because the damn cutoffs would not close properly, therefore causing a horrible leak. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

If you want louder, change your mufflers.

Before I put my catback on I ran my car straight prochamber and it sounded so beastly, and because the sound came after the crossover, it had some sort of tone to it. If it were possible I would run it like that all the time. Try it after the xpipe, I think it will be quite unique, although ive never heard a 4.6 with straight xpipe. Is is a true x or bassani style x? Would a cut out still have some sound going to the mufflers out the back? I would assume all the gas wouldnt go straight out the cutout, im sure that would affect the sound, half cut out, half muffler...:shrug:
you would be surprised wit how much opening them up stops the exhaust from mking it to the mufflers, HOWEVER tat being said i bought off road cat deletes and offroad x pipe and bent and welded straight pipes all the way back. my electric coutouts make it seem way louder but after letting someone take it down the road......i know terrifying right......it doesnt make it much louder its just the difference between a screaming banshee under your feet and a roar behind you and you leave a cloud of dust. my suggestion is to just open up behind your cats and tie up your pipes and see if you like the sound before buying anything. electric cuts are less than $500 but $500 could go along ways if you a weekend modder doing i all yourself. and the most important thing to remember is always performance most cars arent made to run the stock tune with that little backpressure, if you love the sound of opening the headers up be preparedto deal with a power loss if its even a noticable amount.

There are a lot of good people here, and some good information. Some people can be "prickish" at times, but just ignore them. If you have questions, just ask......someone will either have the answer, or point you towards it.