Electric Fan and factory Alternator?

PuppyDawg

Nov 20, 2003
Boston,MA
I bought a 88gt stang from this kid and once i got this thing, it had a whole bunch of problems with it.....i should've been much more careful, but anyways.....he had a factory alternator in the stang with an electric fan.....but recently the alternator failed and i had to replace it (another factory one).....i was contemplating on the possible alternator upgrade......i wanted to know a few things before anything (sorry if i have stupid questions)

1. Why the electric fan "upgrade"? what does it do?

2. Will i be able to use the stock alternator to compensate for the electric fan and the other devices (factory and a future sound system project) in my 88gt?

3. If i have to upgrade my alternator then what alternator should i use? where can i purchase one too?

4. Does having the a factory alternator and the electric fan could be the cause of my surging while cold start on my 88gt?

thanks for the info guys.....

• Sponsors (?)

PuppyDawg said:
1. Why the electric fan "upgrade"? what does it do?

adds hp. well, more accurately it reduces parasitic hp losses. basically it takes hp to turn the fan with the crank (stock setup).

PuppyDawg said:
2. Will i be able to use the stock alternator to compensate for the electric fan and the other devices (factory and a future sound system project) in my 88gt?

it might work for the fan, but once you add a sound system etc you'll need the bigger alternator. save the $ and hassle in the long run and get the 3g upgrade.

PuppyDawg said:
3. If i have to upgrade my alternator then what alternator should i use? where can i purchase one too?

you need the 3g upgrade. it's the 130 amp alt that came on the sn95 stangs. you'll also need a couple other little things for the swap. do a search.

PuppyDawg said:
4. Does having the a factory alternator and the electric fan could be the cause of my surging while cold start on my 88gt?

thanks for the info guys.....

i doubt it, but for kicks you might want to check your voltage at idle. if it's low it could cause a surge.

-steve

The factory alternator is barely enough for the stock car. Add the extra electrical drain of an electric fan and it is just asking for trouble. Blown alternator, run down battery are just a couple of the problems. If you want to run an electric fan for the improved cooling it provides, expecially at a stop, then you need to upgrade the alterator. And that does not mean just bolting in a higher power one, asthe Ford wiring harness is not up to the extra amps produced by the high power alternators. Do a search on alternator and you will find a lot of info on the 3G upgrade.

Here is one article:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/paperformance/index2.shtml

I had a couple of others, but the links I have are now bad.

The 3G alternator came in the 94-95 GT Mustangs, 95-04 V6 Mustangs, and several other Ford vehicles over the past several years. You can get new ones from PAPerformance or the auto parts place, or search on www.car-part.com for one to a 95 Mustang. I got one from a 2002 V6 Mustang for $25 that I put in my car.

If you want to add stereo amps or any other electric accessories, then an upgraded alternator AND upgraded wiring are a definite necessity.

Good luck!

Thomas

Here's websites with pictures of the 3G ( 94 Mustang and later 130 amp alt) installation procedure...

See http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/3G_130A_Alternator_Upgrade.htm - all the tech data you could ever want to know
OR
http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html - excellent pictures of installation

For the right way to do the wiring. Some people will tell you that you can skip the wiring upgrade, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. A fire in the wiring harness is ugly and expensive.

thanks a lot guys.....i printed out the how to do's thanks to jrichker in a previous post....i'm sure you see these kinds of posts on this forum all the time, and i want to apologize for creating another.....but i just wanted to make sure....so everybody recommends the "3g" alternator that can be found in the 94-95 mustang gt's? and also 95-04 v6 stangs? ....i guess i'm going to have to post a "i'm looking for" ad in the want ad section of this forum for that kind of alternator then....thanks again guys.

I bought:

Used 3G alternator from one '94 GT...$70
4AWG welding cable, lug terminals, and 125A fuse and holder...$45

DON'T reconnect the stock power/charge wires to the 3G alternator, like the fordmuscle.com article shows (and which PA Performance says to do).

DON'T reconnect the stock power/charge wires to the 3G alternator, like the fordmuscle.com article shows (and which PA Performance says to do).[/QUOTE]

why not? (reconnect the stock power/charge wires to the 3G alternator? and how SHOULD i connect/wire it? thanks again for the info man...that's real helpful

PuppyDawg said:
DON'T reconnect the stock power/charge wires to the 3G alternator, like the fordmuscle.com article shows (and which PA Performance says to do).

why not? (reconnect the stock power/charge wires to the 3G alternator? and how SHOULD i connect/wire it? thanks again for the info man...that's real helpful[/QUOTE]

Connecting the black/orange stock power wiring bypasses the 4 gauge wire and fuse. Then all the current goes through the undersized wire if the fuse in the 4 gauge wire blows. Nasty way to make a fire in the wiring harness if the alternator shorts internally.

NeQX said:
www.pa-performance.com has the best upgrade , stock replacement just have to cut a small piece off bracket with dremel as you would with any 3g 130amp, comes with big power wire, do it right 1x ;)

wow thanks again guys.....this site is interesting.....but how do i go about checking what alternator i need to order? ....like when it ask you to select your pulley? (6,1,2,3,4,5,or 7?) select upgrade type? (B,C,D,or E?) select power wire? (none,9902,9903,or 9904?) and what would you recommend as far as selecting output amps and idle and max?

Wil said:
could you use a 01 gt alternator on a 92gt??? I too am planning on getting a electric fan and I just totaled my 01gt so I figured maybe I could reuse it. Is it possible??

Different style of mounting for the modular GT alternators. The V6 alternator has the same mounting locations as the Fox one.