Electric Gauge Install

IEatRiceGT

Sep 22, 2005
MD
I just got a 5" tach and with it I got a electic water and oil temp gauges. My question is, the water and oil temp guages were free and are just the guages(no wiring). I want to install them in a few days, can I just splice them to the stock guages? If so, how? I am just looking for a simple install, the guy that sold them two me said I can just run a wire to the stock harness. Anyone have a good link to a detailed tach install? Let me know what my options are. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of gauges are they (brand)?

The AutoMeter gauges don't come with any wiring either. Not even when bought new .... but they do come with sending units. NEVER use the factory sending unit or wiring to connect an aftermarket gauge.

I'm still away at school but from what my bro told me(he looked at them when they arrived at my house) but he said it's just the gauges by themselves. They are autometer pro-comp guages. Why can't I splice?

Ya I understand...but my focus has moved onto saving for a sportbike this summer rather than more parts for the stang :D

--btw what is the best way to get good instructions on tach install? Calling up the manufacturer? Or is there a good set somewhere online for a mustang install?

IEatRiceGT said:
--btw what is the best way to get good instructions on tach install? Calling up the manufacturer? Or is there a good set somewhere online for a mustang install?
There are online instructions out there - AM and other brands have PDF's on their sites.

SImply stated, you connect a key-on power source, ground, lighting and then get a signal from the negative side of the ignition coil to drive the tach. 5-30 mins to wire it up.

Good luck.