Engine swap

Thomasruth

Jul 31, 2023
I have a 1986 5.0 the motor is junk. But I have a 1968 302 with world product Windsor jr heads ported the motor is new. I built the motor for a different project what I want to know can use the motor in the 86 using it’s intake and accessories. Any advice would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I’m sure some of the speed density gurus will jump in here but if it were me I would post this in the “Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech” section as it will get more eyes on it.

The firing orders are different between the 2 motors. The 86 HO motor has the same firing order as a 351.

So no. Unless you were to put a 351 cam into the old 302.

You would also need to confirm the old 302 is a 50oz imbalance motor before swapping over the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate from the 86 motor.

Reactions: 1 users
The firing orders are different between the 2 motors. The 86 HO motor has the same firing order as a 351.

So no. Unless you were to put a 351 cam into the old 302.

You would also need to confirm the old 302 is a 50oz imbalance motor before swapping over the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate from the 86 motor.

I do have the 351 cam in it but I was wondering if I use the harmonic balancer flywheel for the 86 will that fit? If not, can I use the 28 ounce but still accessory and everything

Everything should fit as far as I have ever seen and heard. You can always bolt up the brackets and accessories onto the old motor while it is on the stand just to be sure.

You will likely need to use the 86 timing cover and water pump because I believe the pumps spin in different directions on the motors.

The 86 balancer and flywheel will fit on the older motor but wont work unless the engine itself is balanced for 50oz. If not, use 28oz stuff if that is cottect for the old motor.

As always, do a lot of research before committing.

Everything should fit as far as I have ever seen and heard. You can always bolt up the brackets and accessories onto the old motor while it is on the stand just to be sure.

You will likely need to use the 86 timing cover and water pump because I believe the pumps spin in different directions on the motors.

The 86 balancer and flywheel will fit on the older motor but wont work unless the engine itself is balanced for 50oz. If not, use 28oz stuff if that is cottect for the old motor.

As always, do a lot of research before committing.
Thank you for the information

The distributor gear is also something you will need to pay attention to. The gear in the 86 is for a roller cam. If the old 302 has a flat tappet cam then you will need a distributor gear that is compatible with the different style cam.