Fox 5.0 swap

Thomasruth

Jul 31, 2023
Question I picked up a 1986 5.0 the motor is tired. I have a new 1969 302 with ported 79 351w heads. Can I use the fuel injection set up on that motor. I want to keep the cruise control. Also will all the brackets and pulleys the oil pan fit the 69 motor. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I might be mistaken about the cut-off dates (somebody will flame me accordingly if I am) but 1985 started the roller block. That block is superior for making power in every way.

If the [79 351W heads] are decent, swap them over to the rebuilt roller block.

If it's a stock 86 block, you will likely still find cross-hatch on the cylinder walls when you tear it down. The head seals, bearing, and rings are what will be tired.

Depending on the what size the valves are on your ported heads, you may need to fly-cut the pistons if you re-use the 86 flat-tops. This can be worth doing since the OEM pistons are forged. The E6 heads on the 86 are not worth reusing IMO. The stock crank in that engine will take more abuse than the entire block.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Roller blocks in general are thin wall cast technology and there was core shift in the casting process so some were good and some not so good.

To run the motor you have you will need to swap timing chain covered and ditch the fuel pump eccentric if it has one. You many have to swap distributor gears as roller cams take steel gears and a flat tappet may or may not (cannot remember). Oil pan and pickup tube will most likely need to be swapped to clear the k-member. If the 69 block does not have a dipstick provision in the block then you will need to get a reverse rotation water pump timing chain cover that has a dip stick provision.

Balance on the 69 will be 28 oz and the 86 will be 50 oz. You will need a 28 oz balancer that works with the 86 serpentine belt setup and a 28 oz flywheel/flex plate that will work with the 86 transmission.

Now you can swap over the accessories to the 69 and put the injection on it.

Like Noobz said just having the 86 short block fresherd up and have the heads cleaned up is probably easier.

Balance on the 69 will be 28 oz and the 86 will be 50 oz. You will need a 28 oz balancer that works with the 86 serpentine belt setup and a 28 oz flywheel/flex plate that will work with the 86 transmission.
Is this correct? Something in this appears backward. :scratch:

Oh wait... Is this assuming the flat-tappet block is used?

Yes. To use the 1969 motor he will need a 28 oz harmonic balancer and 28 oz flywheel or flex plate (depending on transmission). The balancer will need to be specific to the 86-93 accessory setup so that the crank pulley aligns correctly. I say all of this if in fact the 1969 motor is a 28 oz imbalance and someone did not make it a 50 oz which would be borderline dumb.

My 331 is a 28 oz imbalance (roller block with a 28oz stroker kit) so I know this from experience.

I get it roller block flat tappet block. I’m asking because the original motor is tired and I have this other motor brand new and I have about 6 g in it. I guess I could sell it.

Was your '69 engine setup with retrofit roller lifters and roller camshaft? That's one of the biggest advantages of the 1985+ 5.0 302 engines.

The next question, which I can't answer: will the EFI intake work with the '79 351 heads? Will the ports and their shapes line up? Even if it does, you'll probably want an explorer, GT40, Cobra, or aftermarket intake since the stock HO intake is restrictive and your '69 motor sounds built.

I ran 69 DOZZ heads with a Cobra upper and lower and it matched with no issues. The heads were ported to a Felrpo 1262 gasket and the lower intake was port matched (and later ported by TMoss) to the 1262 gasket.

Let's not forget the 86 is speed density.
Personally i wouldn't use the 69, but that's me. To go into a project like this i feel like it has to be worth the effort.
You could probably get the same or better results with a $500 junkyard explorer engine. Most likely with less effort.

With that said, it's an 86 EFI car which is basically a one year run, so the condition of the car may affect the route i took. If it's pretty nice, i would probably rebuild the stock shortblock instead of slapping some random engine i had laying around in it.
My take would be sell the 69 setup and use the money to fund the 86 build.

So I I ditch the the idea of the 69 block can I run the heads? Or will I need to fly cut the pistons. And question is should I get the maf setup and get rid of sd or go with a carb. I have a new edelbrock rpm and a 650 demon carb.

Me? I would keep it efi and put a maf on it, in the long run it is the least expense/work than a carb, there would be no ignition swap needed but that's my opinion.
Would it really be the least expensive way, seeing as he already has the intake and carb. Just needs a dizzy and ignition box, right? Versus having to buy an entire maf setup. I dunno?! But I am a carb guy, so there is that bias going on...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user