Engine switch 289

lidflipr

Dec 31, 2003
Peoria Az
I just got a 65 mustang with a 6/200 and I'm replacing it with a 289 hipo. I have a C4 tranny that came with the 200. Question is, what would be the do's and don'ts and whould it match up to the fly wheel.
The 289 is complete, it was taken out of 67 stang that was totaled so I have all the hardware and pumps/pulleys/starter.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need is a new bell housing and block plate. However, I would get the C4 it rebuilt and install a shift kit. The extra HP will eat the 6cyl C4 in due time.

I did a similar swap 15 years ago and sent my 6cyl C4 to Art Carr and installed a hole shot converter. I mated it to a 320hp 302 and had 100,000 worry free miles on it.

lidflipr said:
I just got a 65 mustang with a 6/200 and I'm replacing it with a 289 hipo. I have a C4 tranny that came with the 200. Question is, what would be the do's and don'ts and whould it match up to the fly wheel.
The 289 is complete, it was taken out of 67 stang that was totaled so I have all the hardware and pumps/pulleys/starter.

I hope you have all the parts to upgrade the suspension, brakes, rear end, and beef up the bands in that c4 at the same time as doing the I6-V8 swap. I'm in the middle of writing an ebook on this swap. But in the mean time refer to this page in the SN F.A.Q.

http://members.cox.net/daugherty_pgdr_leaders/FAQ/I6-V8-Swap.htm

If you need any help with the swap just pm me and i'll try to come out to you and help (if i have the free time since you live in the phoenix metro area also)

You did good to get a hipo 289 congratulations. Wish I had one to drop in my car(yes I'm jealous). Just do your swap the right way and bring your car up to v-8 standards. There are lots of guys to answer your questions once you get into it. Good Luck.

I picked up the engine,trans, rearend and rear springs from the totaled stang, The front end is stock and org so Iknow I would have to replace with a kit. Also the front brakes will be upgraded to disks with a add on kit.
I have my plan just want to pick your brains and make sure I'm not missing anything, OBOBRIAN thanks for the refer page also good DesertMustang site