Fe And Tremec 5 Speed Question

Markus

Feb 29, 2004
germany
Hello guys,

i run a 331 with an "old" 3550 tko for years now. The transmissions have a long (7.2 inch) input shaft.
In the near future i like to convert my 67 fastback to a big block car and like to reuse the transmission with a quicktime bellhousing.
Here is my problem. I´ve heard that i need a shorther input shaft (6.5 inch) that i don´t run in to problems with the shifter location, driveshaft lenght and transmission mount.
For the newer tko 500/600 is a shorter shaft available but not for mine.
What do guys think about that, any experience?

thanks

Markus

• Sponsors (?)

Hi Markus. You can skip over most problems by putting in a stroked 351 motor. Maybe not as cool as an old FE, but way less work and less money, too. Are you committed to the FE motor?
I'm curious about your 24lb injectors. Did you ever think they were limiting your power output?

Hello SoCalCruising,

i have the problem here in germany with the TÜV. The car must be vintage correct. That mean my 331 stroker with efi is not
and a 351 ist not correct too. So i like to go with a big vintage correct engine in the future but not a simple 390 fe and no 428.
Both are too heavy for my usage. I like to buy a pond aluminium 482 crate engine.
You are right, the 24 pounders are running with 80% usage rate with 55 psi fuel pressure. Is hard on limit but ok. The max power is not hurt.

Markus

Hello SoCalCruising,

i have the problem here in germany with the TÜV. The car must be vintage correct. That mean my 331 stroker with efi is not
and a 351 ist not correct too. So i like to go with a big vintage correct engine in the future but not a simple 390 fe and no 428.
Both are too heavy for my usage. I like to buy a pond aluminium 482 crate engine.
You are right, the 24 pounders are running with 80% usage rate with 55 psi fuel pressure. Is hard on limit but ok. The max power is not hurt.

Markus

i would beg to differ on that one. Typically when you're up at 75% duty cycle on an injector you'll loose resolution in your fuel map. If you're pushing 55psi and already up at 80% duty.....I think you might need some bigger injectors

That 482 is a lot of motor. One like that was built up here locally in SoCal for a 69-70 Shelby clone. First time the owner drove it he crapped his pants and put it up for sale. Last I heard, it was in Texas and owned by some guy with a Ferrari dealership. Drives the stink out of it there.
Sorry I can't help with your question.
Good luck.