Finally Did It: 12.65 @ 108.15

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
:banana:

Yup, you heard right. I finally got the ole 98 NPI slushbox GT into the 12s, and well into the 12s at that. I knew it had these times in it, it was just gonna have to wait till some good weather. Good weather came, and I capitalized on the opportunity. Seeing what it'll do in this trim, I now believe I could get it to the low 12s with gears, a stall, and a slightly lower DA. But I keep telling myself that those things are not going to happen. :D

Track: Rockingham Dragway
DA: 400 feet

12.65 @ 108.15 mph with a 1.84 60' (right lane)

1002528e.jpg

And to back it up

12.66 @ 107.88 mph with a 1.83 60' (right lane)

1002531.jpg

I had no wheel spin on any of my passes minus 2, and those times aren't in this thread. (They were both 12.8s anyway. :D)

I got a better trap speed a few passes later. I remembered that I pulled some timing and richened it up a little bit after it pinged at the top of 2nd gear last time I went to the 1/4. So I added that timing back and leaned it back out. Unfortunately, this was later in the day, and the track wasn't hooking anywhere near as good as it was earlier when I made the 12.6 passes. And the DA was about 250 feet more than earlier. No wheel spin, I just launched it softer because I had spun the previously couple of passes. It still definitely has some left in it.

12.75 @ 108.41 mph with a 1.91 60'. (right lane) Check out that RT. :D

1002539.jpg

Video of that run:
YouTube - 1998 Mustang GT vs. 2001 Mustang Bullitt

These runs were done with some basic, easy weight reduction. When I got to the track, I took out: (all of this was weighed by me personally earlier this week)

Spare tire and jack: 31 pounds
Subwoofers: 36 pounds
Passenger seat: 35 pounds
Rear seat bottom: 13 pounds
Bag of tools: 18 pounds
Floor mats: 12 pounds
Rear spoiler: 8 pounds
For a total of: 153 pounds!

It sounds like a lot of taking out, but it only took me 10 minutes to get it all out, and 15 to put it all back in. And boy did it make a difference, as shown by the times above.

As the day was ending, I figured I'd see what it would do with all of that back in. So, in FULL street trim (minus the DRs) on the only pass in this trim, it went:

12.85 @ 107.21 mph with a 1.90 60'

1002533w.jpg

I actually went to the track last night as well with some nice cool air (-750 feet DA), but after I got there, they decided to close 2 hours early, which only allowed me to get 2 passes in. :mad: They did let me in half price, so it wasn't all bad. So with no time to let air out of the tires or get the feel of the cold track, and with all the said stuff above still in the car (I didn't have time to take it out), I went:

13.00 @ 106.45 mph with a 1.96 60'

1002536.jpg

Video of that run: YouTube - Supercharged 1998 Mustang GT Listen to that J-mod do work! :D (I know I'm in the left lane in the video, and the right in the slip. Both runs last night were flip-flopped right-left. Weird).

I was so ticked off that I didn't get a 12.99 (and that was the last pass of the night). Looking back at it, I'm glad I didn't because if I would have probably not gone this morning, and thus not run all these sweet times.

I know why the ET was slower (wheel spin), but I'm not entirely sure why I was trapping so much less than I did today considering I had 1000 feet less DA. Oh well, maybe get to run at that kind of DA again later next month.

Hokay, end novel.

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys!

Yea, I was surprised a lot more about that 1.83 60' than I was the 12.6 it ran in the 1/4. I've heard from lots of folks (some with superchargers and now even turbos) that 1.90 is about all you can get out of the stock converter/stock gears combo. So I was ecstatic when I was knocking down low-mid 1.8s all day long. And with a little more practice, slightly cooler weather, and a better prepped track (it wasn't very good at all today), I think I might could improve even a little bit more. Roots-style torque, baby! :D

The car feels awesome, and the weather is great. It could be better, but I can't complain after doing what I did today. I would like to run at Rockingham with some negative DAs and see what it does then. I was really disappointed I didn't get to dial it in Friday night with a nice -750 feet DA.

BurningRubber, you should come out with us next time we go if Rockingham isn't too far for you. Heck, it's almost an hour and a half for us. But it is a fast track, and our drag strip club is slowly becoming more like a Mustang club. :D

Yep, I ran a whole slew of 13.3s and 13.4s (with one lone 13.2) at 103-104 mph a little over a month ago. It as at a different track, and the DA was only about 500 feet more than tonight. The car was identical, except I kept the full interior at the passes a month back (about 60 pounds worth). So the DA and weight should have accounted for roughly .1 and 1 mph. That still leaves over half a second and 4ish mph unaccounted for. Either Fayetteville is slow, Rockingham is fast, or a combination of the two. Rockingham is IHRA certified, and I've backed up Rockingham passes with similar times at my home track, so I'm pretty confident that they have their act together. Something was up at Fayetteville. I know some members on here have ran fast passes at Fayetteville, and maybe it normally is fine, but something was definitely off that night. It sure feels a whole lot better telling folks I ran a 12.65 with a supercharged Mustang than telling them I'm running 13.3s.

BurningRubber, you should come out with us next time we go if Rockingham isn't too far for you. Heck, it's almost an hour and a half for us. But it is a fast track, and our drag strip club is slowly becoming more like a Mustang club. :D

That would be awesome, the Rock is a great track. I went one year for Mustang Week (a year or two before I got my GT) and had a good time.

I'd like to be able to get up there while it's cool, but with my school schedule/load I don't think I'll be able to in the near future. Maybe when things slow down a bit I could get some of our club members to head up and we could have a nice track day. They like to go to Fayetteville and the Rock isn't too far beyond that.

Thanks guys. I don't know about picking on a whole lot of 5.0s....d98gt just went 12.5s on a stock one...I am close though.

Yup, 12 pounds. They are the thick ones from American Muscle. I got them for Christmas last year.

3.27s. :ack: I'm only at about 5100-5200 rpm at the end of the 1/4. 3.73s would put me right at 6000 rpm through the traps. I suspect I'd pick up several tenths and at least a couple mph, but I don't really want to trade off that fuel mileage.

I suspect I'd pick up several tenths and at least a couple mph, but I don't really want to trade off that fuel mileage.

You won't notice that much difference. I'd do it for sure. What tires are you running?

I suspect I'd pick up several tenths and at least a couple mph, but I don't really want to trade off that fuel mileage.
Don't count on it. I went from 3.27's to 3.73's in my Cougar and picked up all of 1/10. On top of that, I hated where it was shifting and in the end, went back to the stock gears. Still managed 12.7@108mph with my crummy 3.27's though. And my car has about 600lbs on yours. :D

That being said....your car being lighter might pick up 2/10. It's really up to you if its worth it or not? :shrug:

Wow, nice times Sneaky that thing is moving!!! After you get a set of gears would you ever think about installing a nice set of cams in that thing? Nick McKinney has some sweet NPI blower cams :shrug:

Just go with the 3.73s, you won't regret it and likely won't even notice a fuel loss. Should really help that blower out even with that small of a change.

You won't notice that much difference. I'd do it for sure. What tires are you running?

Stop talking me into the gears! :fuss: I keep saying that I'm not going to, but if I get one of the co-ops I've applied for next semester (>$600/week in my pocket), then I might just do it.

On the street, I'm currently running Nitto 555s in 255/40-17, but my next set (about 10000 miles away) will be the same in a 275 width. At the track, I'm running Nitto 555Rs in 275/40-17 on an 8 inch wheel. They hooked it the other day so long as I got them good and warm, and the track prep was decent. I think with cooler weather (more power), really good track prep, and a few pounds less air in them (ran at 26ish pounds this weekend), a 1.7x 60' is possible with my car right now. Heading back to Rockingham about 3 weeks from now, hoping for some really cool weather, and I'll find out.

Don't count on it. I went from 3.27's to 3.73's in my Cougar and picked up all of 1/10. On top of that, I hated where it was shifting and in the end, went back to the stock gears. Still managed 12.7@108mph with my crummy 3.27's though. And my car has about 600lbs on yours. :D

That being said....your car being lighter might pick up 2/10. It's really up to you if its worth it or not? :shrug:

Yea, I'm probably being a bit optimistic. I was thinking that with the stock stall converter, that extra torque multiplication will help me get those much needed decent 60' times. Here, watch this video I took yesterday with the drag radials on.

YouTube - Supercharged 1998 Mustang GT 0-60

Notice the slight hesitation up until 3000 rpm? I think the gears would help to eliminate that and noticeable reduce my 60' times. Also, using an extra 800 rpm in 3rd gear would have to help my trap speeds, probably by a very noticeable amount. Only downside I see is less traction, which I honestly think I'll still have enough of with my tires, especially if it's a little warmer outside. I had plenty of traction this past weekend earlier in the day when the track was prepped well.

Congrats!! looks like I should have gone to the rock lol, btw what was the rule on helmets there?:nice::nice:

Thanks man! Yea, the Rock is beast. I'm gonna go back to Fayetteville sometime to see if there was something wrong with those runs on that particular night.

I think the rule is 12.99, but I've never seen anything said to anyone. I'm pretty sure I remember a Lancer Evo running 11s one time there with no helmet or anything.

And Joe told me about BWR. I'm sorry to hear about that. Did they finish my buddy's turbo Mach 1? If I'm in Raleigh, I'll probably come out to PCM this weekend.

Wow, nice times Sneaky that thing is moving!!! After you get a set of gears would you ever think about installing a nice set of cams in that thing? Nick McKinney has some sweet NPI blower cams :shrug:

Thanks man! I have thought about cams, but I don't know. It probably wont happen. It definitely won't happen anytime soon. I really like the way the car runs and drives right now. I'm trying to make myself stop spending money on it and start saving for a new/nicer Mustang.

Very nice....Congrats!!

Thanks! Looks like your car is getting down the 1320 plenty well also. :nice: