Finally got my videos with the cams

• Sponsors (?)

Nice & smooth.

In the Idle vid, what's that that sounds like "tapping" when you drop down near the ground on the passenger side?

In the highway cruise vid, is that a slight gear whine from the rear I hear? (Just curious 'cause if it is, it's exactly the same noise my diff makes...)

trinity_gt said:
Nice & smooth.

In the Idle vid, what's that that sounds like "tapping" when you drop down near the ground on the passenger side?

In the highway cruise vid, is that a slight gear whine from the rear I hear? (Just curious 'cause if it is, it's exactly the same noise my diff makes...)

I'm not sure what the tapping sound is. That sound was the reason I put the camera there. I thought someone on here might actually tell me what that's all about. MD didn't mention anything about it, so I just assumed it was normal. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger's side cat, but I'm not sure. There is no check engine like though, and it doesn't seem to be causing problems. And no, no rear-end whine that I'm aware of.

What do you think hotmustang331? Do you have any kind of tapping sound now that you have cams?

I don't think any "tapping" is normal. Did you change the springs along with the cams? Did you have them check the guides on the PI heads before they were installed? (That is, wasn't there a TSB from Ford for certain 4.6s tapping heard largely in the wheel well that was blamed on valve guide(s)?)

Was it doing this before? If not, it's probably something in the passenger side head (or possibly an exhaust manifold leak I guess...)

Also, what's the idle speed? Did you get it tuned after the install?

trinity_gt said:
I don't think any "tapping" is normal. Did you change the springs along with the cams? Did you have them check the guides on the PI heads before they were installed? (That is, wasn't there a TSB from Ford for certain 4.6s tapping heard largely in the wheel well that was blamed on valve guide(s)?)

Was it doing this before? If not, it's probably something in the passenger side head (or possibly an exhaust manifold leak I guess...)

Also, what's the idle speed? Did you get it tuned after the install?

Yes, I did valve springs too, and a tune. It didn't make the sound before the swap. MD told me that I might want to think about changing out the guides later on, but they told me that the guides were ok and it wouldn't cause any problems, just that it would be a good idea. So, I don't know. The idle hasn't changed. It idled at about 800 RPM's before the swap, and it's the same now.
hotmustang331 said:
Yea I think my car makes about the same noise :shrug: . I was thinking I had an exhaust leak or something....but maybe its just the exhaust rushing through the pipes.

How do you like the powa? :D
It's incredible. It's like a different car. :nice: