First Time Out With Drag Car...results Inside

Bullitt347

I have been doing it wrong this whole time
15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Middle of Maine
So off and on in this forum, I have made reference to my 89' Saleen that was being turned into a Drag Car (sorry Mad Mike) well, I finally got the car on the track and made my NHRA Licensing runs as the car is destined for 8.5 O/L competition. So to be brief, here are a few pictures of the car and the engine.
wedding%20014_zpsoy9ffzn2.jpg

drag%20race%20LIC%20003_zps5mujwtir.jpg

So with just a base line tune, a base line chassis set up and me driving the car down track ( in fact I had not drag raced in the last 15 years) for the first time, I was thrilled that the car not only went straight, but was also very stable at speed. And yes I had a few mental errors during the whole licensing process, got out of the groove on my first 1,000 foot hit and had to abort, on my first 1/8 mile hit the starter waved at me, and I waved back (we know each other) and forgot to turn the intercooler water pump on. I lifted before the 330 ' cones the first time, lifted before the 1/8 mile cones the first time. But on the first full 1/4 mile pass it all came together and the car just went straight arrow and pulled like a beast with a time of 8.623 @159.82 mph! All of this at 3,150 lbs, on a small 26 X 8.5 tire. So I am thrilled with the results. I am sure there is more in the car and I cannot wait to extract it. Below is the time slip.
drag%20race%20LIC%20012_zpsmlyeo3xn.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Awesome, and congratulations. How competitive will this car be with those times?

Kurt
Here is the thing, I had to make full 1/4 mile passes to get the NHRA license. The car is really meant for 8.5 O/L which is 1/8 mile racing. So with a 5.57 E/T in the 1/8, I would qualify at SCSN but be in the very bottom half of the 32 car field. My goal now is to tune it to improve upon the 1/8 mile E/T. Playing with shift points, launch rpm, some minor chassis settings will hopefully net a more respectable 5.2 or so 1/8. That is the goal. If I can run consistent 5.2's then I have a chance, maybe a small one, but a chance.

Reactions: 2 users