Florida cooling

• Sponsors (?)

This one it pretty accurate. I tested it at work in one of our freezers with calibrated instruments. Close enough for govt work.

Typically this is where I sit. With some rpm and max cooling, I can get around 38 degrees. Any colder and you start running the risk of freezing out the evap.
03FA8857-77BF-4B97-ABDB-A86639097DF3.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
My first fox, an '89 LX actually used to do that, though it was on R12. Would freeze the evap, build ice in the vents, and then blow warmer air, presumably due to lack of airflow through the evap.

My first fox, an '89 LX actually used to do that, though it was on R12. Would freeze the evap, build ice in the vents, and then blow warmer air, presumably due to lack of airflow through the evap.
A low service charge can cause this too. Without sufficient pressure, the freon is allowed to evaporate unhindered which makes it really cold really fast. It freezes and things start backing up starting in the drain A/C drain. A/C pressure switches can error in either direction and fail to switch off.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a couple ways to approach this. Imo the 94-98 v8 factory sn95 cooling fans are some of the best for the money. Get someone to weld on a couple mounting bosses and a support tab to a fox body radiator and just bolt the fan on. Pair that with a fan controller, or a relay and output from a standalone ecu if you’re running one.

The dual spal 12in fans with eBay fan shroud also works well if you’re on a budget.

If you’ve got some money to burn, delta pag makes the highest flowing 12in fans I’ve ever seen in person. They can couple them with their controller, which has built in soft start and ac input, but plan on spending over $1000 for that. It’ll be the last fan setup you every buy though. Mine keeps my blown 347 with a big ass intercooler in front of it cool in the Georgia and Florida heat.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys got it right. I wanted to follow back up to set the record straight. Pulled the mechanical temp gauge out of the vents and tested it in ice water, looks pretty on point:
1687817504039.png

Looks like IR Gauges are trash for this purpose, and based on the earlier pics, it was probably measuring 38-42*.

It was another hot 96* day here in North Carolina. When I got in the car to go home, put in on Max A/C, pointed the vents at my face and drove on post from 40-50 mph, that kept me comfortable. Gauge dropped fairly quickly and then steadied where it was reading just high of 40*. That's something like a swing of 50* from ambient. Awesome! After about 15 minutes, it was cold enough to turn the lower the fan speed and point the vents away.

Earlier in the day, I let the car idle on my lunch break while I made a phone call. Temp gauge went to 2nd white line or slightly higher. A/C was not so awesome while stopped. Gauge stayed around 60*. Good enough to keep me from overheating, but obviously struggling. I think I need to seal the radiator to the condenser a little better.

Last edited: