Flywheel bolts

blacksheep-1

Oct 21, 2006
I would like to buy an aluminum flywheel but I don't know if my car has a 6 or 8 bolt pattern. (the engine date is April 8, 1999) Also, is the Cobra flywheel lighter than the GT and is that interchangeable? The reason I ask is that I would like to order the parts ahead of time and knock it out on a weekend. BTW it's a 99 GT 4.6 5 speed.

• Sponsors (?)

The 99-2000 Mustang GT's were the only ones to get an 8 bolt crank other than the Cobra's. They still only used 10.5" clutches though. Here's a link to Mcleod's website to check out their flywheel application guide. Looks like you are looking for part number 463408. You have the same Flywheel as a 96-99 Cobra. The newer Cobra's were all 11" clutches. Hope it helps.

http://www.mcleodind.com/application_guide_pgs/flywheels_ford.html

Edit: Sorry, the aluminum flywheel for yours would be 563408

Is there a weight difference between the 96-99 cobras and the 99 GT? In other words, is there an advantage going to a, say.. a 98 Cobra flywheel instead of the 99GT? or are they all the same weight?
I assume the balance is the same?

The 99-2000 Mustang GT's were the only ones to get an 8 bolt crank other than the Cobra's. They still only used 10.5" clutches though. Here's a link to Mcleod's website to check out their flywheel application guide. Looks like you are looking for part number 463408. You have the same Flywheel as a 96-99 Cobra. The newer Cobra's were all 11" clutches. Hope it helps.

http://www.mcleodind.com/application_guide_pgs/flywheels_ford.html

Edit: Sorry, the aluminum flywheel for yours would be 563408

I am sorry to say you are wrong my friend, my 2002 GT has a 8 bolt flywheel. And I hope this helps. 4.6L engines may have 6 or 8 bolts to attach to the crankshaft. Check the engine code before ordering. Romeo built engines have 6 bolts and Windsor built engines have 8 bolts. All Cobra engines have 8 bolts. The 8th character in the VIN is (X) for Windsor engine plant or (W) for Romeo engine plant.

I am sorry to say you are wrong my friend, my 2002 GT has a 8 bolt flywheel. And I hope this helps. 4.6L engines may have 6 or 8 bolts to attach to the crankshaft. Check the engine code before ordering. Romeo built engines have 6 bolts and Windsor built engines have 8 bolts. The 8th character in the VIN is (X) for Windsor engine plant or (W) for Romeo engine plant.

this part of the information is NOT correct. there is NOTHING in the VIN that tells you what engine plant an engine came from :nono:

your 2002 Gt came from the factory wth a 6 bolt crank and flywheel, now the ONLY way it could have had a 8 bolt set-up in it is IF someone changed the engine before you got it.

1999 & 2000 ARE THE ONLY years a GT mustang got a Windsor engine that has 8 bolts on the crank and flywheel.

now your part about the Cobra's having 8 bolt flywheel and crank IS correct:flag:

this part of the information is NOT correct. there is NOTHING in the VIN that tells you what engine plant an engine came from :nono:

your 2002 Gt came from the factory wth a 6 bolt crank and flywheel, now the ONLY way it could have had a 8 bolt set-up in it is IF someone changed the engine before you got it.

1999 & 2000 ARE THE ONLY years a GT mustang got a Windsor engine that has 8 bolts on the crank and flywheel.

now your part about the Cobra's having 8 bolt flywheel and crank IS correct:flag:

this is were I got my info from. I am going by what these guys are saying, and I hope they are right because I just ordered an 8 bolt 2 days ago.:jaw: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M6375F46 1&comp=LRS

this is were I got my info from. I am going by what these guys are saying, and I hope they are right because I just ordered an 8 bolt 2 days ago.:jaw: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M6375F46 1&comp=LRS

well guess what, your going to get the wrong flywheel if you ordered an 8 bolt as ther info is WRONG.
all they did was copy that info from the Frpp catalog and it is NOT correct

alright man I am going to take your word for it and call them and that they have the wrong info up and I ordered the wrong flywheel. thanks for telling me before I took the car apart.

alright man I am going to take your word for it and call them and that they have the wrong info up and I ordered the wrong flywheel. thanks for telling me before I took the car apart.

ok, trust me as I've got over 25 years working at Ford dealerships in Baltimore, selling Ford parts and I was one of the first to modify and race the 4.6 in my 1996 Gt, so I do know a thing or 2 about Mustangs, Modulars and cars in general:D

i believe your trans can tell you what you need. a t45 is 8 bolt and the 3650 is 6 bolt, correct??

no, incorrect and AGAIN:

1999 & 2000 year Mustang GT's have Windsor Engines in them and IN 1999 & 2000 the Mustang GT's wth the Windsor engine have 8 bolt flywheel and 8 bolt crank.

1996 to 1998 Mustang GT's have Romeo engines in them and have 6 bolt flywheels and 6 bolt cranks and have a T-45 trans.

2001 to 2004 Mustang GT's have Romeo engines in them and have 6 bolt flywheels and 6 bolt cranks and a 3650 trans.

ALL DOHC Cobras have 8 bolt flywheels and cranks wth all manual trans
2004 Mach 1's wth sticks have 8 bolt flywheels and cranks while the automatic Mach 1's have 6 bolt flywheels and cranks

NOTHING IN THE VIN TELLS YOU WHAT ENGINE PLANT THE ENGINE IS FROM, THATS BAD INFO.

I don't think I can make this ANY clearer:shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
OK, the Windsor motors have 13 valve cover bolts, these would be the 8 bolt cranks.
The Romeos have 11 valve cover bolts and they have 6 bolt cranks
**There's also a bolt hole in front of the head that is different, either a 6 or 10mm, I was just looking at a couple of these engines (I couldn't see the cranks however) I forget which was 6 or 10 though.
I understand that there was a fire at the Romeo plant in late 98 early 99 and Ford used the Windsors out of the truck plant for a couple of years.
Or is this all just BS?

OK, the Windsor motors have 13 valve cover bolts, these would be the 8 bolt cranks.
The Romeos have 11 valve cover bolts and they have 6 bolt cranks
**There's also a bolt hole in front of the head that is different, either a 6 or 10mm, I was just looking at a couple of these engines (I couldn't see the cranks however) I forget which was 6 or 10 though.
I understand that there was a fire at the Romeo plant in late 98 early 99 and Ford used the Windsors out of the truck plant for a couple of years.
Or is this all just BS?

No BS and I think you got it:nice:
now for some fine-tuning. Windsor cam covers have 13 bolts on one and 14 on the other, Romeo's have 11 on both
the bolts hole difference in the heads is this: Romeo's have 8mm and Windsors are 10mm