ford focus inertia switch (fuel cut off)

fordkid

May 28, 2007
Hello guys, I have a 2002 ford focus, 4 door. and I am trying to locate the Inertia switch, or the fuel cut off switch, I have had an idle problem, witch I am sure was due to a vacume leak, me being my lazy self I put if off and then today it died on me, so I popped the hood and sure enough the rubber hose for the PCV valve was caved in, so I walked to the parts place and got a new one, However the car didn't start, so I checked around and I am thinking it's not getting fuel. I couldn't find any check valves on the actual fuel rail, but I found what I believe to be some kind of relay of some sort for the fuel system on the passenger side near the firewall, it has fuel lines going into it, Couldn't actually see the word fuel on the line but they look like fuel lines to me, any ways there was one of those check valves on that, so I unscrewed the cap pressed down the needle and nothing came out, kept it pressed down while someone tried starting the car and still no fuel came out. so before I get into checking the fuel pump and all that I would like to know where the Intertia switch is, and then if I am wrong about what I believe to be part of the fuel system and it is in fact not part of the fuel system then where do I check to see if there is fuel going into the engine.

Thanks
Ford Kid

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I haven't found the Inertia switch but I went ahead and checked the fuel pump, it's working, and I do have fuel comming out on the exit side of the fuel filter, I don't really know where to check for fuel after that, I am used to there being valves on the fuel rail for the purpose of checking for fuel but I don't see any, so since there is fuel comming out of the filter I am just going to assume that fuel is getting to the engine unless someone can tell me of another place to check for fuel. I also checked each spark plug and every spark plug is getting spark. does ANYONE have any idea of what I should check next.

Thanks
Ford Kid

Hey never mind, I'm and IDIOT. I kept thinking there was something seriously wrong since I found out it did have fuel and spark, and I kept telling my self of course it has timing since I'm prety sure it's non-adjustable. after telling my self that for a few hours I thought CRAP, the timming belt probably broke, so I pulled the valve cover to see if any of the valves were moving when the engine was cranking and sure enough they weren't, so I pulled everything else apart and found that the belt was striped on the bottum part, so I should have it going by tomorrow as long as the parts store doesn't give me any problems.

Thanks
Ford Kid

If you have the 2.0 DOHC Zetec engine is an interferrence engine which if that belt broke with the engine running then the valves did hit the pistons. Before you buy the new belt and take all the time to install it slowly rotate the crank to make sure that the valves didnt hit the pistons and sieze the crank which would have shredded the timing belt.