Found a 9 inch

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
So I was cruising the junkyard today when I found an old pickup truck with the bed removed and a very clean 9 inch rear with 2.75s. Now I just bought a 9 inch a few weeks ago but I was wondering if the rear from this one may be a trac lock, posi, or whatever you may call it. The yard offered to sell it to me for $100 so I think I may go pull it.

If anyone could let me know if this may be a trac lock or an open rear I would appreciate it.

THanks

• Sponsors (?)

If it's a traction-loc, when you jack up one side, you can't turn the wheel on that side, or if you have both wheels up they'll both turn the same direction when one is turned. Or you can get down in the dirt and clean the ID tag off to see what it's got

monk302 said:
So I was cruising the junkyard today when I found an old pickup truck with the bed removed and a very clean 9 inch rear with 2.75s. Now I just bought a 9 inch a few weeks ago but I was wondering if the rear from this one may be a trac lock, posi, or whatever you may call it. The yard offered to sell it to me for $100 so I think I may go pull it.

If anyone could let me know if this may be a trac lock or an open rear I would appreciate it.

THanks

All 9 inches are not created equal however, and it is a very good chance that if its from a truck it will be too wide for the mustang pictured in your avatar and the spring perches will be set further apart....you will need to spend a little more dough getting the housing narrowed, the perches moved, and the axles shortened. If the 9 you bought a few weeks ago is the correct size, it would be cheaper, and prob better in the long run to invest in a new trak lok unit for it and trying to find a junk yard peice.....especially one with such a small gear set....2.75 is terrible.....now if it was a 3.55 trak lok, it would be worth picking up in my opinion.

The one I picked up a few weeks ago is from a 70 cougar but the reason I was thinking of pulling this one was so I could eventually sell it to someone else so it doesn't make its way to the crusher. It seems like a swap alot of people are wanting to do but cannot find the actual housing. Should I pull it and try to get it to someone or should I just let it get crushed?