Frame rail rust repair

Trogdor

5 Year Member
Aug 30, 2018
Anna, TX
Finally getting around to fix this. Driver's side is much worse, passenger is only a small section. Just wanted to share some pictures of what it looks like. Today we dropped the K-Member, tomorrow we make the repairs and try to turn the car back into a roller. Here are some pictures:

View from the wheelwell
1690080010503.png

1690080046383.png

View from the engine compartment, we had already cut a viewing window
1690080118848.png

Inside view looking towards the front
1690080167020.png

Looking towards the rear
1690080219932.png

Here are the bolts that were holding the K-Member to the frame rail
1690080320691.png

• Sponsors (?)

Finally getting around to fix this. Driver's side is much worse, passenger is only a small section. Just wanted to share some pictures of what it looks like. Today we dropped the K-Member, tomorrow we make the repairs and try to turn the car back into a roller. Here are some pictures:

View from the wheelwell
1690080010503.png

1690080046383.png

View from the engine compartment, we had already cut a viewing window
1690080118848.png

Inside view looking towards the front
1690080167020.png

Looking towards the rear
1690080219932.png

Here are the bolts that were holding the K-Member to the frame rail
1690080320691.png
My K member bolts looked similar to that. I was pretty shocked when I saw them, as the steel around it looked ok.
LMR to the rescue with new bolts!

geez man, that was not safe to drive. Lots of work there for sure. Easier to pull the engine .. You might want to consider A tubular front end from Team Z as it is lighter, stronger, and will allow you to run a whole host of options for suspension, tires, etc. It may also be actually cheaper and less hours in the end. Have you checked the cowl and rocker areas?

geez man, that was not safe to drive. Lots of work there for sure. Easier to pull the engine .. You might want to consider A tubular front end from Team Z as it is lighter, stronger, and will allow you to run a whole host of options for suspension, tires, etc. It may also be actually cheaper and less hours in the end. Have you checked the cowl and rocker areas?

Engine and transmission are already out. I did toy with the idea of a tubular K-member, but I'm looking at at least $500+ and that is not including control arms. Just trying to get it repaired so I can drive it. I'm doing heads/cam/intake and full exhaust while everything is apart.

geez man, that was not safe to drive.

Genuinely curious if there have any been any catastrophic failures due to rusted out rails/towers. Being in the northeast, i've seen some pretty nasty cars where you can look in the wheel well and see the headers. And these cars are still being driven. Really makes me wonder...

Genuinely curious if there have any been any catastrophic failures due to rusted out rails/towers. Being in the northeast, i've seen some pretty nasty cars where you can look in the wheel well and see the headers. And these cars are still being driven. Really makes me wonder...
" Just rolled in" on youtube.... I am shocked at what kind of morons are on the road every episode..

Went through this about 11-12 years ago on an old project. It's not all that bad, just time consuming and labor intensive. Yours looks better than mine did.... :oops:

2023-07-25_12-07-43.jpg
2023-07-25_12-08-10.jpg

Good luck with your project! Hope it goes smoothly for you!!

Reactions: 2 users
Its not a terribly hard repair if you can weld and do some minor fab work. Once you cut out the bad stuff it wont seem as bad of a job but when its all crusty and crumbling it looks daunting. I didnt use a kit i just bought steel and pieced it together. When you are done coat the inside with Eastwood frame coating or something similar.

Is it the salty areas that cause this the worst?
A friend took his SBC powered lark to the Bonneville Salt Flats years ago... Salt got into the weep holes on the bottom of the doors and qtr panels... Ate right thru the metal... REALLY nice car that took extensive repairs to make good again..
If not the one in the street ( had 4 or 5 of them) one just like it..
DSCF0976.jpg

Some progress on the driver's side. I have a 9-5, M-F and my friend runs the restoration shop. I help him with tuning as he does a lot of LS swaps in older vehicles and he helps me with metal fabrication. It also helps that we are really good friends.

All that to explain that he took time today to work on the driver's side, I was not expecting him to, and here the pictures he sent me of the progress

IMG_20230725_145116460(1).jpg

IMG_20230725_145031876(1).jpg

IMG_20230725_145040667(1).jpg

Already looks much better.

• Loved It!
Reactions: 4 users