FRPP 345 hp crate long block or H/C/I?

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I'm close to buying a 1995 5.0 Vert. I'm trying to decide between a frpp 345 hp crate motor (long block) and going the h/c/i route with it.

Can you H/C/I guys tell me how much your HCI install ended up costing you and what HP/TQ you ended up with?

The car has 89,000 miles on it. That's why I'm thinking dropping the $4000 for a long and all the other stuff you need to install it is not such a bad idea. I can get the long block for $3000 and I figure another $1000 for the rest of the stuff and the install.

Is $1000 realistic for the all the other stuff and the engine install? Or is it more like $2000?

• Sponsors (?)

I am sure you will get a lot of HCI votes, and I am one. The ford motor has Hype pistons and average heads. Have read that it dynos in the 290 range, when a lot of the good HCI setups are closer to 310-330. Even a budget shortblock and a Summit Trickflow kit would be better.

I probably spent around $2500 maybe a bit more. I did TFS heads, intake, stage 1 cam. I wish I could tell you what I am putting out at the rear wheels but I haven't had a chance to get it dyno'd yet. I am shooting for 300rwhp and many setups I have seen are in that range.

I'm with evryone else h/c/i. Maybe b/c i'm doin the same to my car ( trick flow kit being bought sat.) but that crate has junk pistons and like the person before me said ave. heads. Spend wisely and get some trick flows or afr's and a good cam and call it a day. 300 rwhp easy.

hyper pistons are not junk. the only reason they get knocked on is that they dont handle detonation well (forced induction) which is becuase forced induction systems need to be fine tuned, or you will get detonation. But they are by no means "junk"

Now on topic. H/C/I would be the way to go IMO. A good H/C/I combo would be the trickflow heads, intake, and stage 1 cam. A better choice would be AFR 165's/custom cam/ a performer series intake. I don't think the frpp longblock is worth the money imo. Have fun!

I haven't installed my HCI combo yet so I'll prolly spend another 30-40 on little parts but all together I spent 2200 for everything. Just search around and find good deals. I got everything but the cam and intake adapter used, but it's all in mint condition.

I vote HCI for the price.