Fuel Gauge

• Sponsors (?)

because in a bucket of fuel you are really only testing the float because the sender isn't in a fixed position as it is in the tank . Do all the other gauges read properly .
Hey Jim...I hate to say but for now the fuel gauge problem has been put on the back burner...I hate to ask but I mentioned I had another problem....maybe just maybe you can shed some light on this.....my alternator dash light bulb socket is hot on the ground side and the hot side....Thoughts?

Hey Jim...I hate to say but for now the fuel gauge problem has been put on the back burner...I hate to ask but I mentioned I had another problem....maybe just maybe you can shed some light on this.....my alternator dash light bulb socket is hot on the ground side and the hot side....Thoughts?
well I did put a couple new harnesses on but I didn't have a problem then....all I did was take the instrument cluster out and completely redo it and put a cigarette lighter in and hook it up but I found the hot wire to it.....how is it possible to have a ground wire plugged into a hot wire without having a dead short?

well I did put a couple new harnesses on but I didn't have a problem then....all I did was take the instrument cluster out and completely redo it and put a cigarette lighter in and hook it up but I found the hot wire to it.....how is it possible to have a ground wire plugged into a hot wire without having a dead short?
The socket should have a dead short if it has power on both sides ,the bulb would complete the short .
Im gonna check again but im pretty sure when I plug the bulb in it doesn't blow a fuse...if it does I know this is a stupid question but where do I start?

If you have a wiring diagram i would run through each circuit one at a time . I believe all the grounds are black on the 65 -66 ,so if a black wire is plugged into a different color wire it is probably the problem . Make sure all the ground wires that screw to the body are screwed down ,like the ones inside the dash ,that could cause problems if they are not .

If you have a wiring diagram i would run through each circuit one at a time . I believe all the grounds are black on the 65 -66 ,so if a black wire is plugged into a different color wire it is probably the problem . Make sure all the ground wires that screw to the body are screwed down ,like the ones inside the dash ,that could cause problems if they are not .
im gonna give it a shot...I have several wire diagrams...ill be in touch...thanks

im gonna give it a shot...I have several wire diagrams...ill be in touch...thanks
ok....I have been chasing wires all under my dash....first of all guess what....when a bulb is in and I turn the key on...the bulb does not come on and it does not blow a fuse?......I traced the ground wire from the bulb socket all the way to the main disconnect where it unplugs from the cowl and it is hot all the way to there....any more thoughts?.....going to try again