fuel pump change how hard is it?

• Sponsors (?)

step one go to trusted mechanic, step two make appt., step three pay hundred bucks, step four smile becuase you did not have to change the f'n fuel pump, dude it sucks i have had the engines out of two cars put them back in swapped tranny's, did all the suspension work on my stang, but that is one job that i gladly paid someone else to do, plus i have a mechanic i trust. i have done the fuel pump thing twice and while not overly hard in is a royal pain

Its not hard. You need a jack and a 2x4 to suport the tank.
Remove the filler neck bracket bolt,disconnect fuel lines and breather line,support tank with jack and board, loosen 2 bolts that hold the straps,lower slowly unplug the harness at rear of tank. manuver the tank to get the filler neck out of its grommet. once on the ground you need a hammer and a screw driver ( they recomend a non sparking tool like a brass punch but a scre driver will suffice) to remove the lock ring. the hard part is wiggling the pump all around to get it back in the sump.

having a buddy to help you is best.

imo the hardest part is having to deal with the filler neck

getting it out of the tank usally consists of me sitting on the ground, kicking the side of the tank to get the neck all the way out.

and for some reason the tanks come out alot easier than they go back in.

Keep in mind to change your fuel pump first thing in the morning BEFORE the car is started. This way your fuel lines are under very little pressure if any. This way you don't get a gasoline shower when unhooking the fuel lines either. Also run the tank down to as close to empty as you can via siphoning or just driving to drop fuel level. Makes the weight you have to contend with much less. Other than that, Droptop gave you a pretty good overview.