Fusible links vs In-Line Circuit Breakers

Jack Farrell

Nov 9, 2021
Michigan
Project Car: 1989 Fox
Has anyone replaced fusible links that are imbedded in the wire harness connected to the stater solenoid with in-line circuit breakers. My concern is regarding the circuit protection considerations that need to be taken into account, I would build a panel with the appropriate breakers and relocate it under the fender and above the fender splash shield. This vehicle will not be a daily driver. Street summer fun driving only. Thanks. I appreciate the input.

• Sponsors (?)

The good thing about fuses and fusible links is they don’t fall to do their job. If overloaded, they will open circuit and prevent a disaster.

Circuit breakers are mechanical devices which not only can fail to trip at the specified amperage but can also fail to trip at all. Result = not good

Circuit breakers can also nuisance trip from a spike that is not necessary a longer term problem. Fusible links are designed to allow some over current for at least a short period of time and not open the circuit.

So, from both a practical and safety standpoint, fusible links are the best choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for you input. I appreciate it.
You’re welcome.

Btw, good quality circuit breakers do have a place in our world. The cockpit of an airplane for instance. In this environment you may need to get a system back online to avert something worse such as falling out of the sky. But in a car we can most often just coast to the side of the road and with a bit of luck, maybe still make it safely home for dinner.

Reactions: 1 users