Getting Heavy Exhaust Odor From Egr, Seeping Into Car.

Myrlin54

Nov 12, 2012
Florida
Hi all,'m new to this site. I'm hoping I can find a quick and easy answer here. I have a 1993 Mustang Cobra, 113000 mi. orig. owner, so there is no wondering if a previous owner did anything. My car is pretty much untouched, almost all parts are orig. on car. I recently changed the pcv, fist time in 19 yrs. While I was changing it I noticed a heavy exhaust odor coming from the EGR, no the car wasn't running. I thought it strange. But I didn't pay it much mind then. I've hardly been using the cobra the past 3 years. I had been noticing an exhaust type smell in the car and I realized it was the same odor coming from the EGR. While driving I rarely get that smell, I usually drive with a/c on so maybe I don't notice it. But when I park the car, hours later the odor is prtty heavy in the car. The thing is I want to know the quickest way of checking the EGR without having to buy and hook up all kinds of equip. I figure the fact hat heavy exhaust odor is coming form the EGR, even when turned off, is a big clue. Yes my gas my milage is off a bit, I don't think by much. The engine runs pretty smooth, no smoke, no noise no ping. Thanks in advance for the suggestions, advice and help.

• Sponsors (?)