Got the EXPLORER engine running, FINALLY!!!!

v8only

Jul 3, 2003
Many of you have no idea who I am, a few know my long saga with my 97 explorer engine swap into my 86 vert.

Well, third time around, I finally got the motivation to re-assemble it.

Some may remember, last time I dropped an intake bolt down the intake, and wedged it into #2 cylinder's intake valve. OUCH. that was literally 5 minutes after I got it buttoned up the second time around. (first time around we stripped it down AGAIN to find out why it ran like crap, and that was not the first, as I disassembled it before I ever dropped it in, sooo... I'm running sentences, but this is the 4th time ripping it down to the bare longblock and building it back up again, over the course of a year.

This time around I got the seat fixed from that valve, bolted the gt40p head back up with a fresh head gasket and some arp head bolts, and decided against using my explorer intake. Reasoning was simple. I had a KNOWN GOOD intake, that had been run by a friend (heavily ported the TMOSS way), so I decided to run that, just incase my old intake had a crack or something I never saw.

Re assembly saw two things:

1. Like a dork I had never tightened the intake bolts the "correct" way. I did use the torque sequence and specs, but one time around. This time, I did it right, and it took nearly 7 turns tightening them all down to get them to correct torque.

In the end, I don't really believe that was the true problem. Here it is.....

I pulled the throttle body off of the explorer intake that I was using. It was a stock (ported) 60mm throttle body from and 87+ stang. Out of shortage of parts, I had it mated (I know, I know) to a stock 86 plate, which was only a 58 mm plate. This is where I do believe the problem lied. When I pulled it apart, there was black soot/carbon all over the inside face of the throttle body and spacer. I didn't think it would make a huge difference, but it did. It caused massive internal problems, which I believe caused it to run super super SUPER rich.

Anyhow, got the beast all together and fired her up,...VAROOOOOOMMMMM!!!! Right off the bat, I had a few vaccuum leaks, bAD ones.. just ports on the intake I hadn't yet blocked off. After plugging two, I fired it back up (the video link posted below) and it ran TONS better. However as you can hear in the video below, I have two problems. ONE, I need to bolt the stinking fan shroud on right, and two, I still have another vacuum leak (which is causing a miss, and high idle). I already pulled the upper off, and found yet another port needing to be plugged. This is where it sits now, no time today. However, NO MORE RICH PIG SYNDROME!!!!!!!!!!!! the plugs are beginning to burn clean, and burn off all the black soot, from just 3 minutes of idling.

I've got a TON of buttoning up work to do, but I've finally got something to work with.

REgrets??? I should have gone with a lopey aftermarket cam, not a stock HO mustang cam, but that can be changed out in the future.

right click, save as (41 meg videO)

she sounds mean as hell.

http://www.50stangs.com/picturehosting/jeremy/EXPLORER97/stang running.VOB

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats Jeremy - it's been a long time coming. :cheers:

I'm sure it sounds great (I'm not about to try the link on dial-up).

Best of luck wipin-out the finishing touches and then flogging the snot out of it! :nice:

what totally blows is I've got a new EVERYTHING in it, from motor to perf parts to trans to suspension components to clutch.....

I've got to break in that clutch. Damnit. I've got a work vehicle from my company. It gets the mon-fri routine. Come weekend, we drive the minivan around. The only time I get a chance to drive my personal vehicles (my 91 bronco, etc) is either for a joy run, or a beer run.

I drive 1500 miles a year right now on my personal vehicle. At that rate, it'll be a good 4 months before I can give it any amount of throttle :(

Well now, I'd expect that since the beast is back together, you'll be making lots of refreshment runs and the like (to accelerate that break-in schedule). ;)