Granatelli Adj. LCA's - Questions

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Today I tried to install a set of Granatelli Rear Adjustable Control Arms in preparation for my CDC side exhaust. I lowered the Stang about a year ago and need to jack the rear end back up a bit to gain a little clearance back, and might as well get a little more performance out of the suspension while I'm at it.

Looking over the LCA's I need some feedback from anyone who has these. First off, the adjustable spring seat is situated on a 1 1/8" bolt. This bolt when unscrewed into a higher position seems a little loose to me. The instructions say to grease the bolt up to ensure proper functioning of the adjustability, but it seems to me this a little more than a little loose. Has anyone that installed these ever had a problem with maintaining the adjusted height of their spring seat? I was thinking about getting some bolts to put in the giant screw just to make sure it wouldn't travel, but I couldn't find a bolt big enough. Maybe I'll try a 4X4 shop somewhere? I'm kinda hoping/thinking that the pressure of the whole car, springs, and lower isolators will keep the seat from trying to screw in - think?

Looking at the ring that keeps the bottom of the spring on the spring seat, I see that there are three welds that boarder on tack welding. Does anyone think that I should have the entire spring seat ring welded in the rest of the way? I'm curious as to how much pressure is put on this part and if extra welding would be warranted here?

Now for the BS...

Got the LCA's and decided to do it myself.
Went to AutoClone and picked up a grease gun (my first), and rented some spring compressors. Earlier in the week I picked up two Craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jacks and a pair of jack stands for $50 (60% off sale!). :nice:

So I got the car up, axle supported, and couldn't get the damned struts unbolted. No matter how much pressure I put on these damned things or how many times I banged the hell outta the wrench with the mini sledge, they wouldn't budge! I thought that the bolts here should be torqued to 63 ft/lb, not 450 Gorilla ft/lb.! I sprayed the bolts down with penetrating oil and let it sit for about 2 hours, but still I couldn't get the GD bolts to break! I had Monroe put these on along with the lowering kit and it would seem the bastages used air tools to re-attach everything. I'm fricking peed off!

Any suggestions? Should I try it again in a few days and keep putting on the penetrating oil, or what?

• Sponsors (?)

Can't......get.....bolt........off.........GGGGGRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! Screw it!

For anyone who cares, which doesn't look like a lot of people. I went to about 15 different places from home improvement stores, AutoClone, a speed shop, and two 4X4 places, and no one carried a 1 1/8" bolt with a 12 thread count. I finally ended up at place called Allfastener. They're having the four stainless steel bolts shipped up from New Jersey. :nonono:

As far as getting the damned struts off, it's not gonna happen from within my garage. I'll probably take the car back to Monroe and have them loosen them some. God! What PITA!!!!!!

Still waiting on word (email) from Granatelli about the tolerances on the adjustable bolt....

And the fun never stops!

Heat the bolt up, or the nut? A lighter, or how about a torch for a few seconds? just trying to clarify as I don't want to spend all this time again just to get frustrated all over again.

Thanks for the help! :nice: