Grinds into 3rd

Yeah mine was getting worse to, sometimes when it would grind into third it would feel like it was going to pop back out of the gear. Now that I have it done though sometimes it sticks when I go to shift into third, like it only goes halfway into the gear and sticks and I have to push it all the way up.

• Sponsors (?)

mine never felt right either in my 07 v6. at 18,000 miles i shattered 3rd gear. ford said that it was all my fault and it cost me $3200 for them to put in a rebuilt unit. i still have the same problem with third, but i installed stop bolts on my hurst shifter and third is still alive. i just have to let the rpm's drop back under 4700 between 2nd and 3rd. it got a little better with the centerforce dual friction clutch. i went through 3 of the spec clutch and aluminum flywheels and kept busting the pressure plate. i hope you have better luck with yours than i have had with mine.

My 5spd 08 gt, knock on wood, doesn't grind, but on cold starts is really tough to shift from 2nd to 3rd, or from reverse to first. Although i never noticed that until i went with royal purple all around (engine, tranny and diff).

Could it be RP too thick as tranny fluid?

Yeah, Fallenauthority was saying his car does the same and it has royal purple. I'm pretty sure that I've heard Tremec say that you should only run ATF in their trannys. I would switch back and see what happens.

I had the same issues...

During cold weather, sub 40*, 2nd and 3rd would crunch and 4th would just grind horribly... As soon as the tranny warmed up, it would be perfectly smooth.

I took it to the dealers and they replaced two sets of syncos... It took them about 5 days to get the parts and R&R it...

Definitely worth while especially since its covered by warranty. My tranny is now smoother...but still a little crunchy on 3rd. Maybe because the parts are new and need to get broken in...?

Just take it to the dealers!!!! There is a 50K warranty, so USE IT!!! :nice:

No, this is not normal... Take it to your dealers to get it fixed. It will take roughly a week though, so make sure you take it to where you bought the car so they can give you a loaner...

Hey guys I bought a 08 GT new and on a cold day when the car hasn't been driven it will grind into third. Every other gear will shift just fine, it's done it since new, I should have taken it back a long time ago. It will shift fine into third after I've driven a couple of blocks and it never does it when the car is warmed up or in summer time.

Does anyone elses car do this? Anyone have any ideas? I just don't want to get screwed by the dealer is all.

Thanks for any help.

My 08 GT does the EXACT same thing as yours. I want to take it in, but I'm curious if they will refuse to fix it due to me having a hurst shifter installed?

The problem was there with the stock shifter, but I know that won't matter to the dealer if they try to use that against me.

Since its a hurst, couldn't that have been installed by a dealer? Ford installs Hursts in their Mustangs...
Plus Ford has a TSB for this problem...so they are aware of it... I shifter should not matter...

Here is the TSB:

Attachments

• tsb09-19-17[1].pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 121
It's gotten better now that I have driven it. Maybe the new synchros had to break it or something? I used to shift like crap into third and fourth about half the time, but today it was fine.

I would still take it in and see what happens, that would be messed up if they refused to warranty it because of your shifter.

Crap... i think it could be Royal Purple, but all talk about tranny issue and tsb gets me worried, and i have just under 2K miles left under regular warranty... sigh

If only dealers wouldn't be a bunch of %$#@ and would provide loaners, I'd go in a heart beat.
Does anyone know of a good dealer in central/north New Jersey? East PA would do as well.
Near 08816.