Hard-top Convertible ?????

b52yellow

Jun 28, 2005
Camarillo CA
I was thinking for a loooooong time now , why is it that FORD doesn`t make HARD TOP CONVERTIBLES ????? Is that too much to ask -Lexus has it, Mercedes has it,........ specialy now that they`ve extended the body on the `05`s . Let me know what you think about this and if it could be CUSTOM BUILT somewhere.......

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, Ford was doing it in the late 50's before most companies were.

The last hardtop 'vert Mustang was '95. But for the price of a Lexus or Mercedes 'vert, do you really expect Ford to ask that much money for a Mustang ?

We had a 2003 T Bird and the hard top weighed 80 lbs and that's a two seater car. Mustang with rear seat the top would 'prolly be half again as big and weigh 150 lbs or more and that would be a lot to handle to lift it off the car and keep from putting a nasty scratch on the trunk. Not all that heavy but it is awkward lifting it off because you can't get "under" it and you're leaning forward kind'a sort'a off balance anyway. Definitely a two people job and you'd need a place to store the top. T Bird hard top comes with a nice cradle with wheels and it sits upright and you velcro strap it on so it won't tip over then put the cover on and roll it where you like.

T Bird Premium package gets you the hard top and heated seats and costs $1,500. so I'd guess a Ford built hard top for a Stang would run two grand or more.

"if it could be CUSTOM BUILT somewhere......." It isn't just the top but it has to have a way of securing it when it's on the car so they would have to design and build the securing devices then do the math figuring out the dimensions and shape of the top then build a fiberglass mold and building the mold would run around ten grand. By the time they get the first proto type built they'd 'prolly have thirty grand or better in design and production expense and I seriously doubt anyone would invest that much in ONE top. Different model years would requiere different tops and each top would require a different mold and the securing devices would have to be designed for each different style & shaped car. They might be able to use the front latches like on a 'vertible but they'd need to secure it in back somehow.

Naaahh . . . Good idea but the design and production expense would shoot it down. Our 03 V6 rag top is quiet and doesn't transfer that much heat and it's a black top. Huney.

I dont know if Ford could produce a hardtop convertible cheap enough for the pbulice. Remember where the Mustang is placed in the auto world, its a pony car. Lexus and Mercedes can do it because their vehicle cost a lot more than a Mustang.
On that note however, I would like to see a Targa top option. I think Ford could do that on a relativly inexspensive platform. It would also keep the wieght down on the removible section as it isnt the whole top, just a good chunk of the roof. I know I'd get one.