Having problems with new adjustable clutch kit. Please help!

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I installed a Summit adjustable clutch kit today because my stock quadrant decided to break. It came with a double hook billet quadrant and an adjustable cable. I installed everything per directions, and after many times up on the jack and down the road, got the clutch adjusted to more or less where I want it to be. My problem is that when I release the clutch, the pedal doesn't come up that fast. Also, when I press it, I get alot of weird resistance to it going down, like friction. I've had heavy clutches in the past, and I know that's not where the drag is coming from. I think that drag may be slowing the pedal return. I have a brand new FRPP heavy duty clutch on the other end of the kit, so I know it's not the clutch. What can I do to smooth out the cable and make it release faster and depress faster? I have it installed on the quadrant hook further from the firewall and adjusted so the clutch engages at about 3/4 pedal down. It just doesn't feel right. Do these things wear in or am I doing something wrong? I don't want to hurt my brand new clutch.

• Sponsors (?)

After doing a little research, it seems that adjustable cables are notoriously rough to pull and push. I think I am gonna just get a Firewall Adjuster and put the brand new stock cable I have back in. That seems like the way to go.

Does the Summit one have a jamnut to keep the FWA from moving around once it's adjusted? If not, I'd get the UPR one....I like the jamnut feature 'cuz movement will definitely readjust the FWA if you don't have it locked in place. I've seen 'em for around $30 most places.

Ash

You can try shooting some lithium grease down the cable. Attach the red tube nozzle, stick it in one end of the cable, cover/seal the end with a rag, and spray that sucker until the grease comes out the other side...it will smooth it a bit guaranteed.

Yeah..just finished FRPP clutch install myself and a BBK adj. thingy ma bobber. Noticed it groans when i depress the clutch. So the FOMOCO cable is the one to go with??? Also noticed that my clutch pedal has about 2in of free play at the top. How can i eliminate this??

The binding common to adjustable cables is often due to misplacement of the adjusting nuts on the fork end of the cable. This will also cause the cable to wear and fray. Both nuts should be on the back side of the fork so that the domed nut faces the fork and the other nut serves as jam or locknut to the domed nut.