Help with Gauge decision

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
Ok fellas I need some opinions. I'm going to add gauges to my car, BUT i don't want to install them on the pillar.. Speed of Sound had awesome custom ones installed to the top of the dash, but it seems doubtful they will ever make them a production model (or one i could buy). Since my car is about 95% Stock, the one I was going to get (well I pretty much need since i don't trust the stock one) is Water. My water gauge is out on my stock dash and I'd much rather have an aftermarket one. I like this pod:

View attachment 259972

But as you can see its 3 gauges. I figured i'd pick up the Water temp, Oil pressure, and Volts? I want them pretty much hidden since i'm not out to show its all racy. Any other suggestions?

Also i'll probably go Autometer since i don't have much coin, but do i get the White faced (silver) ones, OR the black faced ones? My gauges will probably stay black faced so i wasn't sure if it would look dumb with white faced aftermarket gauges.

What say yous :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I used to be against pillar pods for the same reasons, but I got one because I had no choice since the place under my radio is a "control center" and I didnt want gauges way down there anyway. I tell you its not that bad at all; no one is staring at them or trying to race me at the stoplight and they're in my field of vision, but they're not obstructing by view. As long as you dont put some uber bright glow gauges in the pillar with a flashy LED A/F ratio gauge no one will notice.

Florida 5.0 used to make a 3-gauge dash pod back in the day along with the 5-gauge pod. I really wanted the 3 :(; they still made the 5-gauge up until right now, but that was too much for me.

Well the gauges I want don't need to be constantly monitored. I really only wanted the Water gauge, and since my interior is blue, i think a pillar pod would look a little out of place. I'm more conserned with what other gauges i should get, or is the Water temp, Oil pressure, and Volts ok. And with what color i should get the back. The white ones in the picture look real nice, just unsure if it would clash with the stock black ones.

i have the pro comp ultra lites. ( like in the pic. i think it looks fine with the black imo. i like mine on the pillar though. never have to take my eyes of the road to see them and since im always glancing at my gauges thats a good thing for me. lol.

I REALLY REALLY wanted these.. But its been a few years and after repeated attempts to get them into production, or even made custom for me, i failed :(

Radio%20Area_f.jpg

I say get water, oil pressure, and vacuum. With the vacuum you can mind gas mileage, know about vacuum leaks when they come, and it can tell you a whole lot of other stuff about your engine if you know how to read it.

i say oil,temp,and vacuum. i dont think that radio pod looks bad, i just dont know about the pita install it would be.....

i want a single or dual pillar pod for vacuum eventually not on my top list of things wanted or needed but something to do when i feel the need to mod my stang since i am almost done with mods for while....

Oil pressure, fuel pressure, and wideband gauge. On a N/A car, I'd really only be concerned with the first 2 though. By the way, the American muscle "kit" is just a piece of ABS plastic with 4 holes cut in it. The radio is not even straight. Most stereo stores can sell you the same piece of plastic for under $10.00 and you can at least have your radio lined up.

What about making a plate with abs plastic that fits inside the ashtray under the door (out of sight when closed)? A 2 1/16th would probably fit in there ok.

1990 coupe, who made that pod? Do you have any other shots of it?

Mustangman0222 if you want to sell the radio and eq PM me.

Thanks Mob. I really only need 2 gauges one for water and one for oil pressure. I don't really ever plan to go super radical with this car that would require me to get any other gauge. Maybe I'll go with a Vac gauge to help diagnose problems easier?

I say don't add gauges you already have. Spring for one of those Florida 5.0 cluster panels and replace all your factory ones with aftermarket gauges. Those things look so trick, you don't have to hack up your dash, and they certainly aren't gaudy like some add-on pods can look.

P1070202.jpg

For my last car, I put oil pressure and water temp in. Those are the most important gauges for an N/A car in my opinion, and they were GREAT.. If you were forced to get a third, I would spring for fuel pressure, because it's up there with the other 2, and if you ever went FI or with spray, it's an even bigger deal.

I REALLY REALLY wanted these.. But its been a few years and after repeated attempts to get them into production, or even made custom for me, i failed :(

Still in the market for something? I've been doing some work on this in the past week, actually! It's funny I found this thread on a quiet Sunday morning.

The dash-top setup is likely to make its way to production. I'm thinking of doing a double and a triple version. Any reason to do more than that?

Also working on the mold for an AC vent pod. I've never liked the "gauge cage" design, so I'm gonna do something different. Work on a few radio panels and some other stuff has also been going on. I decided it was time to do some fox body parts! :nice:

Here's a few pics of some of the prototypes so far. Let me know what you think:

245235.jpg

268169.jpg

245120.jpg

284088.jpg