hi! I'm new to stangnet

Sujeymv

Feb 5, 2022
nc
I have a '08 gt but not too familiar with cars. I was told here was a good place to start. I have a full slp exhaust but want my car to be louder , where should I start?

• Sponsors (?)

Different mufflers
When you say full street legal exhaust? Where you live determines that
Back in the day Ford had a recall on tempo cats
We used to take fox body mustangs (dual them out) (shoryty headers) and put two tempo cats on them and delete the mufflers
Now that is a louder throatier sound than you hear much these days

Anyway- Why do you want the car to be louder? Does the sound of the vehicle mean more to you than the performance? Run larger diameter straight pipes. That's as loud as you can get while still retaining a full exhaust. It's gonna sound like :poo: though. if you don't care at all, just pull the headers straight off the motor. You remove the resonators, pull the muffler, or pull the catalytic converters (though you legally need those to drive on the street)Personally, I would never do that. Those things always sound like garbage. Louder exhausts are not always better and on a naturally aspirated motor you will actually lose power/torque going too big due to a lack of backpressure- scavenging is a big thing on NA motors. On the other hand, boosted cars want to get rid of that air as fast as possible.

TL;DR:

Hit up Youtube and get sound clips of different cat-back exhaust kits. Find one with a sound you like and go with that.
Louder isn't always better.
Install Long Tube Headers (and get a tune or it'll run like garbage)
If you're in a locale where you are not required to do emissions, high flow catalyst pipes or pull em entirely.

Keep in mind adding long tube headers may cause a check engine light, and pulling the cats WILL cause a check engine light- that will fail emissions for you by default.

on a naturally aspirated motor you will actually lose power/torque going too big due to a lack of backpressure
:doh: While I agree with the 'loss of power with bigger pipes, it's not the loss of back pressure that causes it. Scavenging yes, back pressure no. Myth busted a long time ago.
Loud exhaust 'cause race car.

Back pressure was originally related to a comment about forced induction that i deleted, m'bad on the missed edit.
:doh: While I agree with the 'loss of power with bigger pipes, it's not the loss of back pressure that causes it. Scavenging yes, back pressure no. Myth busted a long time ago.
Loud exhaust 'cause race car.
If you lose to a stock version of your car it's not a race car, but it might be a show car.

Here is an age related comment on loud pipes, the tinnitus you probably will develop later in life will be very aggravating, let me describe it for you:
Imagine a high pressure air hose with a small leak. Only inside your head.
but you're young, and I'm just am old fart that will just give you advice based on my experience, if you want loud pipes pick a inexpensive muffler that is straight through, no baffles. Don't spend a bunch of money.

Here is an age related comment on loud pipes, the tinnitus you probably will develop later in life will be very aggravating, let me describe it for you:
but you're young, and I'm just am old fart that will just give you advice based on my experience, if you want loud pipes pick a inexpensive muffler that is straight through, no baffles. Don't spend a bunch of money.
I already have that. sometimes wake up in the morning and i'm not sure if i've got an electrical issue, i left a fan on and it's faced a bottle, or if i've just lost my mind.

Reactions: 1 user
These work exceptionally well for producing noise form exhaust:

1644162368282.png

Some metal shears and a little tape... :shrug:

• Hell Yeah!
You're a car guy, er, gal ahhh person(?) You've lost your mind :nice:
That's what my birth parents said when I told them I was a lesbian.

TBH, that's kinda what happens when you've had 17 cars in 15 years of driving (and never had an accident that wasn't fixable). Just keep chasing that dream.

Also, have you heard my laugh? It's comparable to a mad scientist who just finished monologuing in a hero film.

TBH, that's kinda what happens when you've had 17 cars in 15 years of driving (and never had an accident that wasn't fixable). Just keep chasing that dream.

Also, have you heard my laugh? It's comparable to a mad scientist who just finished monologuing in a hero film.
Stop, you're scaring me!!
Hey @Sujeymv sorry about derailing your 'welcome to stangnet' thread,
Sooo, what cha up to??

Ok... back to not wrecking this dude's intro thread with your backstory. :p

Shoo! :tard:

• Surprised
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
High pitch cicadas that do not shut off or cycle in volume or pitch is closer to what is driving me nuts. It’s also like what noise an old tube and capacitor TV will make, but almost nobody has those anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Get the slp resonators,remove and hold onto your mufflers( you'll need them if you get tired of the loud).
I run slp loudmouth cat back,(resonators) they start out low till I hit 2-3 grand and keep getting louder till I lift.
Just my 2 cents , p.s. Welcome to the asylum we call stangnet.

I like the Thrush Super Turbo mufflers and BBK high flow X pipe. It gets attention at idle and in the parking lot, and yet when at full open throttle, it actually tames down to a whoosh compared to the drone masters it came with. I can still hear the radio and my singing over the cruising sound. I might try the 1/4 tone wave trick for a 1700 to 2000 rpm cruise spike in noise, but it is fun to tear around town in as is.

I like the Thrush Super Turbo mufflers and BBK high flow X pipe. It gets attention at idle and in the parking lot, and yet when at full open throttle, it actually tames down to a whoosh compared to the drone masters it came with. I can still hear the radio and my singing over the cruising sound. I might try the 1/4 tone wave trick for a 1700 to 2000 rpm cruise spike in noise, but it is fun to tear around town in as is.
the 'cruise spike' or your singing?