Hit and Run, what should I do?

You can take the collision off if you want to in order to save money. However, if another car hits yours and takes off while it's parked and does $2000.00 in damage, you have to pay out of pocket. Sure taking it off will save you money and it is your choice to decide that or not. As for reducting the deductible from say, $500 to $250, your rates will increase. You can go from say, $500 to $1000.00 and your rates should drop. It's your choice and you can have your insurance company do some leg work and give you quotes for your scenarios.

• Sponsors (?)

wow im in the same boat as you bro.

just got the car out of paint for the last time, and some drunkard left from the bar i was at, and took the corner where my stang was at too sharp, and his side gouged my front passenger corner. tore the paint right off.

the people outside didnt catch the plates, one guy took off after the car but was too slow.

thankfully the shop that did the paint isnt gonna rape me, they think they can feather it out and respray just the portion and match it.

my Deductible is 500$, and my insurance would also raise after putting in a claim. insurance is worthless unless the car is totaled.

I'd just leave your insurance coverages the way they are. You don't want to overpay for a $250 deductible, and you sure don't want to be w/o collision.

If $250 makes you feel all warm & fuzzy, start a savings account and stick some extra cash in there. Just $20/mo and in 1 year you will have $240 there. It doesn't take long to save that small amount.

timeless2 said:
If the damage is $500 or less and your deductible is $500, just coughing the money up for repairs will save you in the long run, because face it, no one else is going to pay for it at this point. It's in your best interest to keep it off the books.

Cold, harsh truth...

Sad but true. Same thing happened to my old 2002 GT. Someone hit it in my parking lot and damage was estimated at $700. About a week before the car was scheduled to be repaired a lady in a minivan rearended me and totalled the car....lost my car but she saved me $700 though lol

-J

QU!CK said:
Sad but true. Same thing happened to my old 2002 GT. Someone hit it in my parking lot and damage was estimated at $700. About a week before the car was scheduled to be repaired a lady in a minivan rearended me and totalled the car....lost my car but she saved me $700 though lol

-J
Lucky you...I guess.

It was estimated at $371 for the whole bumper to be repainted after the body work was done, but since a buddy of mine knows the owner of a carsmetics around here I only have to pay for materials~$100!

Dope 97GT said:
+1

i cant believe how many people drive without insuranse:nonono:

If the gov't. was really serious about you driving without insurance they wouldn't let you register the car without it. If you go to the BMV here in Ohio to renew your tags all you have to do is sign a waiver that you understand that you must have insurance on a motor vehicle in order to drive it. If you get your tags online it's just a "Click if you understand" box away. Of course, if you're 130 years old and can still read the letters on the eye machine you can still drive a car. Who cares about how you can perform on the road, or, say, in a parking lot trying to squeeze your Buick up next to the bumper of that Mustang in the parking space in front of you?

As for the current situation, I'd say out-of-pocket. I had to pay the deductable a couple years ago for the same thing...someone backed what had to be a pickup into the hood of my car. Since there were no witnesses insurance had to assume it was my fault. :nonono: