Hope someone can give me advice

LAFF

Enough to make my old Nipples hard
Jul 2, 2019
Chillicothe, Missouri
I am 76 years old and am in good health.
My 3 children all have ask me who gets the Mustang when I die.
I have told them that whoever wants to buy it from the other 2.
It’s TOD to all of them.
My question is what is it worth?
Some on here remember me building it.
1983 convertible
Only thing original is the body and interior.
Blueprint 302 with 21000 miles
Lentech aod transmission
8.8 rearend totally rebuilt with 31 spline axles and 3.55 ratio.
Suspension is all upgraded as is the front brakes.
Frame rails also welded in.
Everything is new as of 2020 .
My question is what should I tell them it’s worth?

• Sponsors (?)

21k that would make the one who really wants it pay out 14k .
Point to be made here is children asking about inheritance before your dead sucks balls.

Reactions: 1 users
21k that would make the one who really wants it pay out 14k .
Point to be made here is children asking about inheritance before your dead sucks balls.
It bothers me too.
After my Wife passed they were almost like vultures.
She had a list of what went to who.
That went fairly well until I settled things.
Anyway I thank you—seems you understand.
I might just go ahead and sell it and drive my old F150 around.

Let them decide what it's worth after you are gone.
Tell them it is worth 30k right now and cost 40 to build.
Tell them you want to see a couple of good fights over it.
Maybe somebody will get punched out and somebody else will be pissed for life.
I have found, most kids want the money and house, not the cars
I fix up old cars for families to sell like that when the old boy dies, most sell the car because none of the kids want it
Last one was a nice 69 Firebird 4 speed with a 400. None of the kids wanted it
A shame. Be glad all of yours want your car

Reactions: 1 user
Just my .02 being the child of a gear head. If they didn't help build it then just sell it and drive your F-150. If one of them has the money to buy it from the other two and one or both also really want it they may resent the one that gets it. I realize that is their problem but I would not want to be in that triangle of emotions. If you sell it and use the money to do stuff you want to do who can argue with that? Hell, if you drive it off a cliff not much anyone can say because it's your car.

I only say this as I am the son that is always there when he needs something and never ask for anything. I do it because I love the old guy and we have a good time doing things together. I hope he will leave his guns and cars to me when he leaves this place but if he doesn't he doesn't as they are his to do with as he sees fit. I have told him a hundred times spend all the money and burn the house to the ground as he earned all of it. For me it's more of the memories I have with him hunting, fishing, working on the house, turning wrenches on his vehicles, and him teaching me all he knows.

Hopefully that helps you with a decision but until then drive it like you stole it and enjoy your life man.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Children that 'want' before you die get nothing, maybe some cash, they are selfish, prolly self centered, greedy. That is my opinion based on personal experience with my family, my girlfriends' parents, when they were 'finished ' each one picked what they wanted from the house, property and vehicles had to be bought from the estate, which was divided evenly after all was sold.
Most times someone is not happy, there were a couple mad faces between my siblings, I found it very satisfying when they got nothing, na-da, bunkiss, I was the only one that knew before she died, she told me 'I won't care, I'll be dead!'
Your little family may be different, I have no contact with my siblings and don't want any. I got what I wanted, can't take the memories of growing up with her and my grandparents.

I told my kids to put my ashes in the engine oil and do burnouts until the engine locks up. I cam already tell they'll fight over the cars. One of my sons will have my wife's mustang. The other two will have to duke it out over whatever crap cars are left.

I told my father I didn't want anything and I wasn't fighting over his stuff. None of his stuff will bring him back.

I agree to a point......
My favorite saying is " there is one in every family" ... the greedy sneaky one who "THINKS" they deserve it all...
I am 69 next month... I have seen death and " inheritance" in many circumstances and it is " all the same but all different"......
My father gave away some items that I would have liked to friends and his cronies.... After this happened I nicely told him, " I would have liked to of had some of those items" ... His answer was, " I didn't know that.. If I would have known that I would have given them to you"...
My point being letting your loved ones know that there are certain items you are interested in.. They might not know....

Dad had a Uncle who gave away a luger he took from a dead german soldier from the trenches in WWI after surviving one of the Mustard gas attacks..... Dad spoke about it all the time... When Uncle Bud was dying from terminal cancer my dad asked him about it....
Uncle Bud was surprised that Dad was interested in it,,, He had given it away to some drinking pal at a local bar he hung out at the week before.....

Just saying......

Last edited:
I am 76 years old and am in good health.
My 3 children all have ask me who gets the Mustang when I die.
I have told them that whoever wants to buy it from the other 2.
It’s TOD to all of them.
My question is what is it worth?
Some on here remember me building it.
1983 convertible
Lentech aod transmission
Which of these 3 are the car person?? Do you think some of them want to sell the car for the cash? Alot of people watch Mecum and see $$$$ signs with old cars? Is one of these children a POOR driver that would ruin the car if it came into their possesion.?? I certainly would NOT want that one to get it..
Have you thought of having the car professionally appraised??? That would settle it somewhat to whats it worth?

That way, you could leave the nicest one to the kid who takes care of you the most
Recently lost both of my parents and ended up with both of their cars
I was the one taking care of them so it panned out
Love my nice Mercedes, Love my nice 4Runner
See which kid takes care of you in the end

1983 convertible
Lentech aod transmission

Really need more info to make a good assessment. How many approx miles on body? Whats the condition of the body and paint? Does everything work? A/C? top in good shape? It's got a solid drivetrain, but what's it in?

I'm prob in the $10-20K range, but would need to see pics and such.

This is a tough question to answer when it comes to things like this. I actually have my fox in my will written up how i want it split so the kids won't fight over it.

I actually have my fox in my will written up how i want it split so the kids won't fight over it.
Little Billy get the front bunper (not including the cover) and the rear tires
Little Ethyl gets left front wheel, passenger seat, top
Little Becky Sue gets the rear seat, right front wheel and hood
The rest I donate to science

Hi, I am almost 85 years old and I am still building cars. I was also thinking like you are at 76. I have 6 offspring and all of them are car people. They all would appreciate getting one of my cars when I am gone. My current thinking is to sell all of my cars while I am still healthy and spend the money traveling to visit the kids. I think they would appreciate the visits more than the cars.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm blown away by how entitled most humans are. Somehow, people feel like they somehow deserve the niceties of our society without having earned them, or even concerning themselves with how others earned and provided them for the general welfare of the rest of us. They feel the government should give them things without realizing that "the govt" is really just other people. They want and hope to receive free things from a family member who dies on the basis that they care about the person.

I think it was freeing and motivating to come to the understanding that I am entitled to nothing except that which I earn through my own efforts. I do not want anything for free. I expect nothing from anyone. I expect to contribute through taxes, and through goodwill. I just wish I could find a community where the average person wants to contribute instead of take.

Why not have the attitude that if you want something someone else has, then earn it through your own productive efforts?

Anyways, give the car and your things only to those whom you want to. Those whose feelings are hurt have the wrong feelings to begin with. They are not entitled or deserving of your things. Only you are.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
I'm blown away by how entitled most humans are. Somehow, people feel like they somehow deserve the niceties of our society without having earned them, or even concerning themselves with how others earned and provided them for the general welfare of the rest of us. They feel the government should give them things without realizing that "the govt" is really just other people. They want and hope to receive free things from a family member who dies on the basis that they care about the person.

I think it was freeing and motivating to come to the understanding that I am entitled to nothing except that which I earn through my own efforts. I do not want anything for free. I expect nothing from anyone. I expect to contribute through taxes, and through goodwill. I just wish I could find a community where the average person wants to contribute instead of take.

Why not have the attitude that if you want something someone else has, then earn it through your own productive efforts?

Anyways, give the car and your things only to those whom you want to. Those whose feelings are hurt have the wrong feelings to begin with. They are not entitled or deserving of your things. Only you are.
It used to be, back in the day, that the parents would like to make it so that their kids were better off than they were, so the kids could have a better life than the parents did. Things were passed on, not sold off.
Nowadays society has evolved into the "me" and only "me" mentality. Children don't honor their parents and parents don't give a :poo: about their kids. The TV or cell phone entertains and occupies the child's life while growing up and both parents are away from the home at work.
The breakdown of the family has been devastating to this Country and is the source of most of societies problems. Single parent kids, either by divorce or by out of wedlock birth. This has been done by design.
Call me a traditionalist, but things were better back in the day.

Agreed. Things are worse today and on the decline. I think "entitlements" and welfare programs rob people of their ambitions, motivations, and ultimately of pride in themselves. Single parent household rates have skyrocketed as a result of the push towards more social welfare. That's not good for anyone...