How many do you think are left out there?

CornerCarvin67

Dec 30, 2004
Bored at work today and I was reading over in the 5.0 area where some are beginning to wonder when those cars may become collectible. I was curious to production numbers so I poked around on the internet.

What I found was that there were actually more 1967 Fastbacks (70k) made than 1992 Hatchbacks (40k). I thought that was interesting.

There were 112k Fastbacks made in 67/68 to the total run of almost 700k Hatchbacks from 1987 to 1993.

I got to wondering how many of these old cars are really left around. As in what percentages have been completely destroyed vs. in a junkyard vs. neglected vs. still driving. So if they made 70 thousand 1967 Fastbacks.... maybe there's what, 30 thousand of them left driving around? I know I don't see too many!!!

I wonder how many of the 1992 Hatchbacks are left too.... it's possible my 92 is more rare than my 67!!

Not that they're comparable... but like I said... it's a sloooooow day at work today!!!

• Sponsors (?)

You and I think a lot alike. While I don't think there's anywhere near 30,000 driveable '67 fastbacks left, I also wonder how many 5.0 Mustangs are left. I have a clean, original '88GT hatchback as well, and have been pushing my wife to let it go. It's not worth all that much, we never drive it anymore and maybe someone else is looking high and low for one. Maybe not. But I would like to know how many '67-'68 fastbacks there are left. I know I hunted for about 6 months for one in '01 in my price range. Now what was my price range wouldn't even get a saveable shell, so I'm glad I got one when I did. Anyone know how we could find out how many are left? Sounds like a fun project!

I'd guess you go the ususal way - start looking to see if there is a "registry" of them. Shelby's have registries, Cobras do, even Cougars have a registry, and they even took the info on my '73 XR7 hardtop -in that year there were more XR7 HT's than there were "Standards" of both bodystyles , so it certainly isn't "rare".

Why isn't there some kind of national registry for Mustangs? :scratch: :shrug:

really, Im sure there might be somewhere, if you dug enough. good luck!

Careful!
We seem to have gotten Andy through his "relationship issues" rather well.....
Fritz, Dan and I are going to be needing another "young Padawan" to test :D

EDIT:I'm just sayin'.... If you can develop a "cow-cam" for your barn, you've obviously got the requisite computer skills :lol:

A while back I found a "bench seat registry" for bench seat-equipped Mustangs, but try as I might I never could find I fastback registry. It's too bad, because I have a feeling there really aren't all that many left, but darned if I know how to find out. The neat thing about them is that some people seem to really know a lot about the topic. A few years ago, I had a sportbike that was on a worldwide registry that originated in Japan. Through that I found out that there were only 1,500 of that bike imported into the US. Although I have long since sold the bike, the last time I visited the registry, there were only about 250 bikes on it.