I got a dremel, I got a dremel, I got a dremel, hey hey hey hey....

93ConvertibleLX

Feb 9, 2003
Mittengan
lol. Well I got a dremel tool for christmas, but I know absolutely nothing about porting or polishing. I want to use my dremel!!! Can I use this for openning up my intakes, or do I need something more heavy duty? Also, what kind of bits do I need for porting and what not?

• Sponsors (?)

i got one for chrismas to and i havent tried porting but i cut some steel to see hjow it would do and it worked fine mine is a one speed and gose 18,076 rpms under no load but you guys do have experance porting and i dont so it might not work

Ditto, I have a cordless one.... When I take my nitro cars racing it's lifesaver, stripped out screws etc... I just put on a thin cutting disc and make a groove and grab it with a flathead screwdriver.... On my friends truck two of the clips were stuck in his u-joint slot thing (What the clip rides in to hold the cup in) got it and and a chunk was still in there, we cut the rest of it away with the dremel.... Used it tons of other times too... The battary one like I have lasts over half hour on a single charge and it just as strong as all the other ones...

The dremel is good for mold lines and little areas you want to grind away.
Otherwise you will be there forever. I used a dremel to do my upper for the bigger throttle body. It took me forever. Definitly pick yourself up a good compressor like a 10 gallon a die grinder you can find them cheap espcially at a pawn shop.
Call this # and ask for a catolog 513-921-1356 it's buckeye carbide really good people to work with they sell and make carbide bits what a wonder i tell you..
Some are pricey but you get what you pay for, and definitly worth it!!!

But don't down the dremel you never know when you may need it!!!

Dremels are great for polishing in small spots. You MUST have one to polish complex things like intake manifolds. They are great for cutting things under the hood at in the interior. They are just fantastic tools for anything, however be careful with wood, they spin so fast they will ignite your wood. You can port and polish with the corded dremels with the right burr bits, it does a good job smoothing ports also.

as to the dremel, it is not the best thing for heavy duty metal cutting but it does come in handy for many other things.

I did my auto to manual convo and used it to do all of the cutting on my sheetmetal and the brake pedal brackets.

I also use it for all kinds of small grind jobs and i would hate to not have it.