Is This Carb Too Much For My Setup?

Paul Zofsak

Oct 12, 2014
First the car, a 66 mustang that originally was a 200 cid but now has an unknown 289 in it. The previous owner told me his dad had the engine rebuilt about 15 years ago and bored out to an unknown amount. The car was not running when I got it, it also had a 2 barrel intake on it. I switched the intake to an Edelbrock RPM performer while I was refreshing the engine (major tuneup). Now the carb, I bought the carb from a guy on craigslist that had it on his 66 mustang 289. I ran the number and came up with C5A1-AC which I was unable to cross reference. Keep in mind that these stampings can get a little hard to read so I looked for the most similar code. The closest I could get was a C5AF-AC which came off of a 390 cid. I can't find any other info about what jets, etc. that this carb might have; it does have the 1.12 venturis however.
I was able to get the car started but not keep it running at idle, may have a vacuum leak, still checking.
Would this be too much carb considering it was designed for a 390 or were they all pretty much the same at that point?

• Sponsors (?)

if your engine is pretty stock then yes, it is a little big but should still run ok. that is a 600 cfm like a hipe size and the orig was a 480 cfm, however, if your engine is nearly stock, that intake is too big and will rob some bottom end power but it will run ok with it on. you just may feel a bog or hesitation when you floor it from a stop.