Liquid Nails, a substitute for seam sealer?

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
I've heard that liquid nails can be used as a substitute for seam sealer. Is this true? I've read that the actual seam sealer is the 3M Seam Sealer, but I'm not sure where I can get it locally...especially on July 4th.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I called Autozone and they said they had it, odd because I couldn't find it at O'Reillys. I figured Autozone wouldn't have it either.

I'll update my question then. I'm applying POR-15 to my inner fender. Do I put the seam sealer on before or after painting? Where should it go on the inner fender? Sorry I'm new to this.

Thanks.

Before painting, as Ford did.

AC1724.jpg

Before painting, as Ford did.

AC1724.jpg

Careful with that. Maybe if you are doing a concourse resto but if your doing your own thing my feeling is it would be better to apply the rust inhibitor/paint and then seam seal. The reason being that if you seam seal before paint you are preventing metal surfaces and small crevases etc from getting sealed with a fluid. The paint will find small concealed areas, the seam sealer won't.

Just my 2 bits.

Just in case anyone is still wondering, liquid nails will get hard and brittle when dried. The PO of a previous car held some light sockets into the tail lights with it. It cracked at the first touch when I went to repair his disaster.

hell oreillys should have it in the back in the commericial department. I know i work for em. If they don't they should be able to get it to you the next day, possibly the same day if you go in early enough.