List your pushrod length that you use.

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Okay, here is what I want to know:nice:

- Stock or Decked Block
- Heads Used (Please note if milled or shaved)
- Headgasket compressed thickness
- Cam Used (If custom, just give basic specs - lift/duration)
- Roller Rockers (1.6, 1.7, or 1.72)
- Pushrod Length (Give me the length with your combo).
- Does it ride in the center of the valve?
- Have you had any problems?

Installed Height of the spring if you know it:)

I'll start:

AFR 165's (not milled)
FTI Cam (.560/.556 - 224/224)
6.250" Pushrod Length

302 or 351:nice: It doesn't matter...

I'm wanting to get a general synopsis of what lengths typically go with what combination. However, measuring is best, but let's see what you guys are running:nice:

List if your engine block has been machined (decked/shaved) please.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

This is a great idea but i don't know if you'll get very much feedback...just because it's one of those great detail kind of things. I was also looking for whatever length i would need to put 351 heads on my 302 but nobody can tell me....and you can't tell me that nobody has ever done it. Of course measuring is always best, but two guys doing the same head swap should still be using the same pushrod length.

Yeah, I plan on getting a little list together of general lengths for certain combinations.

I should get plenty of response, because we all use pushrods:) I just have to get people to post them.

So 85_SS, what pushrods are you using?:D

You oughta add to your wanted list compressed thickness of HG as this will change things slightly.

351W (never decked)
Crane (blue racer) 1.6 RR's (3/8 stud mount)
Eddie performer RPM's (never milled, etc.)
Crane 987-16 springs (I think 1.25" installed height)
Comp Cams XE274-HR12 cam
Measured pushrod length - 7.595" actual
Actual pushrod length purchased (remember preload allowance) - 7.625" (crane #27638 for a 1970 Boss302)
CompCams OE roller lifters
ROL 32841HT head gaskets. (.045" compressed)
Rides right in the middle and quiet.

Just my personal .02 cents, FWIW.

I think this is a bad idea. There are just too many variables that affect pushrod length, and creating a list like this gives a false sense of security to people who really ought to be buying a pushrod length checker and measuring.

I mean, even on one particular engine, it's possible for pushrod length to vary cylinder to cylinder due to things as simple as block/head surface machining and imperfect torque values (ranging from an out-of-adjustment torque wrench to head bolt holes that weren't cleaned and tapped)

Pushrod length checker + black sharpie = no guessing.

Yeah, I plan on getting a little list together of general lengths for certain combinations.

I should get plenty of response, because we all use pushrods:) I just have to get people to post them.

So 85_SS, what pushrods are you using?:D

Stock :shrug: which is either 6.25 or 6.272 or whatever depending on who you ask...i've gotten about 5 different lengths that are supposed to be "stock" length.

85_SS - It is 6.272":) Okay, thanks.

Now, to the rest saying measure them, you are exactly right:nice:

Apparantly a few are assuming that I am going to go off this list soley and not consider measuring. This is simply not true, but I'm going to use it more as a benchmark.

I have a couple reasons for this:

The trickflow/holley h/c/i packages all come with pushrods, and they work. There again, a ballpark figure. They are working on bone stock engines.

Now secondly, Ed Curtis sent me the correct pushrods, and I did not measure anything:) He knew what heads, cam, rockers, engine, it was going on and he sent me the correct rockers. They ride in the middle of the valve. They are 6.250".

I have seen on 10's or maybe 100's of combinations on the net, that many will ask and they will say that they used 6.XXX" length, for example on their same combination, and they got the results they were after:nice:

Now, again I am taking up for what I am trying to do, because a few think I am going to be saying "well everyone else uses that pushrod" and then be done with it. That is not correct. I will let them know what some are using and confirm that they need to measure to make sure so they do not risk problems:nice: