Looking for a couple specific parts..

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
And of course, LMR has them. But, look at this..Mustang 79-04 Shift Boot, Lower, W/ Metal Ring by 50resto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I do not want to pay $15 shipping on one item, but I may have to unless I can find it cheaper. I wish AM had them, because we have a coupon code too! Is there any other sites that have them for cheaper?

I have been saving for several months with my work and have saved up enough to buy a used blower kit, but because of bills (car ins. phone, college loans etc.) I am tempted to just wait until I am more settled. What do I need to look for in buying a used Vortech/Paxton/Procharger?? Most kits don't include injectors/pump/tune obviously, but I would buy those new for piece of mind.

I have found several local and some other kits on forums asking between $2k and $3k, but I am torn between leaving my car a DD and buying a blower, or buying a SN95 5.0 or Fox. The GT would sit in the garage, and the 5.0 would be my DD. I want to restore the GT, since it was my only Mustang that I have owned (my family is a Dodge and Chevy family).

I have alot of suspension mods, and want to paint the car, and get an 99/01 Cobra bumper and 03/04 Hood done to it as well.

I just don't know what to do in regards to keeping my car a DD, buying a blower, or buying a 5.0, or just sitting on the cash and fixing up the little things with my '99 GT with mods in sig and 125k miles...other possibilities include forged rebuild in the future with cams...

• Sponsors (?)

I suspect that my opinion/advice in this situation will not be popular with the Mustang fans.

A good daily driver should be reliable, inexpensive to buy, and inexpensive to operate. Modifications are NOT cheap. Often a highly modified car is not as reliable. But many ppl accept this as a cost of their hobby.

The problem comes in trying to operate a highly modified car on a budget. Frequently these concepts just don’t always work together well.

Since you are considering a 2nd car, here is my advice. Buy an inexpensive late model “cash” car for your DD. Put the miles on a disposable car that is cheap to own and operate. When the car is worn out, then there is no loved lost. Just get another.

Restoring an older car is rarely inexpensive. Further by turning an older car into a DD means it is consuming more than its share of $$ resources (as compared to a cheaper DD).

Now that your Mustang no longer has to bear the brunt of being a DD, let the modifications begin! The Mustang will last longer. An added bonus comes when actually doing the modifications. As the Mustang is no longer a DD, the “rush” to finish any work is no longer there. I suspect as a “leisure” vehicle, the insurance will be cheaper.

Anyway, something to consider if trying to make the available $$ go as far as possible and still have a good time doing it.

For the OP - I say wait until you are "more settled," as you stated.

Whatever that means to you - More income? Saving more money? Finding a cheap/reliable daily driver?

THEN go big on modding your '99, assuming you already graduated from college and have your own place...

FWIW - Try a local junkyard yet for that shift boot? Can probably find one there for a few bucks...

:cheers:

Well, I have graduated from college, but do not have my own place, but, i have a more than comfortable job that doesn't relate to my degree, so I am looking for a career to begin in the next couple of years. My degree in Public Safety Administration allows me to work in any number of fields from L.E. to Fire to Paramedics on any number of levels, but many of us know how big cuts have been for each one of those.

I am only 22, car is paid off, and no rent to my awesome parents. I go out routinely, and still modify my car, while putting money into savings for when I move out. I am looking into modifying my car because I feel as though it will not affect the big picture. We do have 4 cars between the 3 of us here, so car downtime doesn't affect me that much. The car is a 1975 Olds Cutlass, which my father has antique insurance on. So he can drive the car should one of the other cars need work. I don't work far from home so that is another plus for myself.

Both of you guys have very good suggestions, but I am just looking for an opinion that I agree with. I am not 100% set on buying a blower, and probably will do the little things until I move out and begin my career.

BTW, just washed the car, and should be posting some pictures up soon!!

Okay, here I go, don't laugh too hard!

HPIM0169.jpg

HPIM0170.jpg

HPIM0171.jpg

HPIM0172.jpg

HPIM0173.jpg

HPIM0174.jpg

HPIM0176.jpg

HPIM0177.jpg

HPIM0179.jpg

HPIM0180.jpg

HPIM0181.jpg

And my dad's Olds (I drove it senior year of High School):

HPIM0182.jpg

What are we supposed to be laughing at? Looks good :cheers:

How do you like those seats? Are those the GTS II seats?

Nice Olds too! I want me a gigantic 70's personal luxury coupe one of these days (along with about 1,000 other cars!)

Its not clean enough by my standards, I could spend 24 hours cleaning it, not be happy, and be pissed off and tired all at the same time.

They are I believe TRS seats in cloth. I replaced the stock leather seats for 3reasons, they had 120k miles and the foam was waay too broken in, the weight savings, and I bought them from a friend who needed the cash. Needless to say, I spent less on both the seats barely used (probably 2k miles of seat time) than anyone can buy a single seat brand new. I just had to buy seat tracks.

I have two complaints about the Corbeau's however and they are trivial. The first being after I swapped them, you gain legroom and headspace, but I like to sit up high in my seats, so I had to adjust their. The second being that I believe I bent the bracket one day trying to get my darn phone out of my jeans pocket and now the seat will only lock into two positions, normal driving at about a 100 degree angle and fully forward or reclined. I plan on taking this to my buddy who had them because I think he can fix whatever it may be bent or something.

Yeah, I haven't had a single issue with any possbile whistling at all from the setup. I definitely felt the throttle response improvement, but the power is nothing special. I do know that I won't have to change it when I put a blower on the car too.