MAF Voltage Readings.

PonyGTrider

Feb 27, 2019
Mexico
Hi there,
In my 90 GT twisted wedge, TFS intakes, TFS-1 cam, 19lb injectors, 65mm TB, and Cold Air Intake, I have a 70mm MAF tube and F2VF-12B579-AA sensor out of a 95 V6.
What do you think about those readings? They kind of look weird to me…

Idle - 0.951 Volts
20 mph - 1.935 Volts
40 mph - 0.179 Volts
60 mph - 1.904 volts

I know the stock MAF set up supposed to have:

Idle - 0.60 Volts
20 mph - 1.10 Volts
40 mph - 1.70 Volts
60 mph - 2.10 Volts

What the readings supposed to be on that 70mm MAF????

Would you agree that maybe that F2VF sensor is bad? And if that’s the case what would be the symptoms??? Perhaps higher fuel consumption or what else?

Anyone running that same MAF tube and sensor that had taken those measurements and if you can share them would be great!

Engine runs good I guess and idles good but I still have bad MPG, something like 9 -10 mpg and believe me I don’t have a lead foot.

Thanks for helping me on this one

• Sponsors (?)

Hi there,
In my 90 GT twisted wedge, TFS intakes, TFS-1 cam, 19lb injectors, 65mm TB, and Cold Air Intake, I have a 70mm MAF tube and F2VF-12B579-AA sensor out of a 95 V6.
What do you think about those readings? They kind of look weird to me…

Idle - 0.951 Volts
20 mph - 1.935 Volts
40 mph - 0.179 Volts
60 mph - 1.904 volts

I know the stock MAF set up supposed to have:

Idle - 0.60 Volts
20 mph - 1.10 Volts
40 mph - 1.70 Volts
60 mph - 2.10 Volts

What the readings supposed to be on that 70mm MAF????

Would you agree that maybe that F2VF sensor is bad? And if that’s the case what would be the symptoms??? Perhaps higher fuel consumption or what else?

Anyone running that same MAF tube and sensor that had taken those measurements and if you can share them would be great!

Engine runs good I guess and idles good but I still have bad MPG, something like 9 -10 mpg and believe me I don’t have a lead foot.

Thanks for helping me on this one
… By the way, NO ERROR CODES in case someone wondering.
I’ll read you with great interest

I think measuring voltage against MPH is very arbitrary.

That said, a larger MAF is going to sample a smaller quantity of air inside of a larger opening. If the tune is not doing the math then the meter will have need to be scaled so that the appropriate amount of fuel is given for the sampled volume of air.

So, it stands to reason that voltage outputs are higher because the meter is sampling a smaller quantity of air and compensating for a larger overall mass of air (because the housing is larger).

So the number you listed appear to scale in the correct direction.

This line however, looks like an anomaly. It should be between those two other values:

40 mph - 0.179 Volts

Reactions: 1 user
I think measuring voltage against MPH is very arbitrary.

That said, a larger MAF is going to sample a smaller quantity of air inside of a larger opening. If the tune is not doing the math then the meter will have need to be scaled so that the appropriate amount of fuel is given for the sampled volume of air.

So, it stands to reason that voltage outputs are higher because the meter is sampling a smaller quantity of air and compensating for a larger overall mass of air (because the housing is larger).

So the number you listed appear to scale in the correct direction.

This line however, looks like an anomaly. It should be between those two other values:
Understood, but as a comparison the two sets of voltage look so weird to me. The stock MAF the reading looks linear. More speed more volts. In the 70mm MAF does not show linearity at all the only numbers that make some sense are the Idle and 20mph, the 40mph reading supposed to be higher than the the 20mph and the 60 mph voltage supposed to be higher than the 40mph voltage. It is definitely contrary to the logic stated on the stock MAF setup.

I’ll do the measurements again insure repeatability.

Are this “faulty” readings related to too high fuel consumption???

Then what to do next?
Thank you all for the help

Bigger heads... Bigger flow, even at idle...

I just recently tested voltage between a pro-m and a stock MAF (19lb injs) both read EXACTLY the same at idle at 1.02-1.1v

Reactions: 1 user