Mark VIII Fan doesn't fit.....

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
:mad: I cut the shroud down a whole bunch. Theres maybe 1/2" of room between the blades and the radiator. I moved my 3-core radiator as far forward as it will go. I ground down the waterpump nipple, and all the bolts to the same height, and with the fan installed it sits less than 1/4" away from the w/p pulley bolts.

On the smithmonte site it shows he has over an inch of clearance! what the hell, how? Under moderate to heavy braking the engine hits the fan motor, I can't let that happen. I already have this thing mounted up to the radiator with so I don't want to drill more holes. And it is very securely held tha fan does not move at all when pulled on.

Any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a pic of the clearence issues I am having :(

images\Fan\wpfan.jpg

I think I have about the same amount fo clearance in mine, maybe just a hair more. You SHOULD NOT have any movement of the drivetrain (or any other part for that matter) under heavy acceleration or braking. If you do, something else is wrong, probably bad motor / transmission mounts, or both.

I have stock replacement convertable motor mounts, they are still in very good shape. I also have a Poly trans mount.

I think the movement is the flexing of the front end, and due to the fact that I have very good brakes, the nose may be folding causeing the fan to go into the motor. Not the motor going into the fan.

If I get a chance I will look at my car again...wont see her till Friday though (working the full week). Nothing should be moving that much though. You may want to see if you can move it over some more. Mine was able to move over more than that because I am running a Griffin 31X19 radiator. Had a little more room to mve the fan.

I have the shroud as far over as it will go to the drivers side. The end of the shroud is right up on the end tank on drivers side of the radiator. I moved the bottom of the radiator as far forward as it will go, and at the top, the radiator is touching the radiator support.

Can the Motor and trans move back towards the diff? It may be "biased" forward...

You might gain 1/8th inch - 1/4inch with the stackup of hole tollerances (motor to mount, mount to K-member K-member to...and so-on...)

Each car may be slightly different.

Looks like your just about there...how about low-profile bolts or counter-sunk allen heads???

I had the exact same problem and had to go back to the stock fan setup, while it was on there in worked very well but sill seemed to tax the electrical system heavily at idle and I have a 3G 130amp alternator.

BlackFox 5.0,

I had to rotate the fan 180* (upside down) and move it all the way to the left. Now it has plenty of clearance. I cut a slice off the white connector edge so it can drain in case water gets in the connector housing because now it points up instead of down.

Good Luck, Don

I took it out today, and played around with the radiator, and was able to give it a slight more amount of room, took the car on the street, and really got on the brakes and it didn't hit. I'll see how if it does during normal driving at a higher speed, and stopping quickly. Hopefully it won't.

I had to replace my balancer tonight, so I test fit mine. On a whim, I installed it sideways, and it fit without even cutting the shroud. And my radiator support is pushed in about 1/2" or so. I didn't have the water pump pulley on, but with trimming the shroud, it would have a good bit of room. Of course it is not centered very well on the radiator, but it fit pretty easily and might give enough room on a tight install.
fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg