So which one?

• Mobil1

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Sponsors (?)

I would venture to say they are both excellent. My step-dad uses RP exclusively and had over 200,000 on his old v6 F150. I have my mom's old 92 Probe that he originally used RP in and now that I have it I use Valvoline's high mileage oil. He had it until 90k miles and I have it now with 150k. I use Castrol or Mobil 1 Syn in my Stang and am at 107k in it. The key is to make the changes regularly and you can't really go wrong.

Cavallo said:

mobil 1 synthetics is a full synthetic. IF it isn't there should be huge million dollar lawsuits at mobil's doorstep right now about this. They advertise it as a non-blend FULL synthetic oil and thats what it is.

This guy thinks mobil is spelled mobile lmao...and he's supposed to be an engineer :rolleyes:

Oh and i'd also like to add that you may not have to change synthetic oils for 10-20+k miles before it really starts to break down but NO filter on the market can stand more than about 7,000-8,000 miles before it really clocks and stops cleaning the oil. So whats the point in worrying about mroe than 7,500 miles? You got change the filter anyways!

kirkyg

I've used RP in my daily driven Stang for the last 40,000 miles with no problem. I've accidentally over revved my Stang up to 7500 rpm's twice. (Sometimes when I'm racing on the 3-4th shift it will not go into 4th gear for some reason without several tries.) But honestly if it wasn't for the RP then I might have lost a valve or two or even an engine. Plus many high profile racers use RP. In all the Synthetic oil test I've never seen RP among the oils being tested for some reason. They are both good oils and you should use which ever one you want to spend your hard earned dollar on.

If you change oil every 3000 miles then I think you are wasting your money with synthetic oils. At 3000 mile intervals I dont think synthetics are worth the $$$ Someone chime in if Im wrong.

Cavallo said:
RP is a real SYN
Mobil 1 use a dino base stock

I use both with no trouble.

RP is worth the coin !
not quite buddy

Mobil and Royal Purple are both Group IV oils which are derived in a gas-> liquid process. Supposedly RP has a bit of dino oil in b/c the mix the addative package in the dino and add the package to the synthetic oil.

However, like 80% of the "synthetic" oils on the shelf are Group III oils which are basically highly refined dino oil. And yes, people have made lawsuits for false advertising.

I absolutely hate RP motor oil, it is more hype than anything It is about equal if not a tad lower than mobil 1 for a DD usage. If you are looking for something in the $6+/quart flavor I would go with Redline or AMSOIL, personally. Mobil1 also has a Mobil 1 R (racing) oil just recently for about $7 quart, I have not seen very much third party testing or oil anaysis.

check out www.bobistheoilguy.com forum for more indepth discussions

I've use Moble 1 on all my new cars/trucks since 1987:

1987 Mustang GT 125k and sold run good as the day I brought it
1997 Dodge Ram 175k No problems this truck will make 300k at least
1999 Dodge Ram 125k No problems

All my other cars:

2001 neon
2002 GT
2003 Mach 1
2004 Mach 1

I've never had an issue with any engine. Many gimics out there with special dealers only or color of oils but Moble always came through for me.JMO

Mobil 1 is alot easier to get than the others in this competition, Oil is oil, synthetic is not. I put mobil 1 in my car and it feels the same as when I put Motorcraft in. Most of the time the power gains is only in the head. When it comes to wear, which is its own silent treatment, is when oil really counts. But in my own opinion, I don't think Ford would put their own oil in their vehicals if it was going to destroy it. But in all perspectives, Amsoil has proven their worth by beating everybody in the silent treatment (engine wear) tests.

I just dont know if there are any benifits to run $4 or $5 a quart synthetic oil if you change oil at 3000 miles every time. I do think however you can go longer with synthetic oil between changes but oil is going to be dirty at 3000 miles. so why go longer?

If you run it hard like they were made to do, I totally agree, true, but if you plan on running it hard, put synthetic in as it will create less wear and keep metal fragments from circulating. But just think about it, before synthetic was even thought about what was there. Real oil, and it worked, right? Synthetic oil is the scientists' answer to the oil reduction and inflation. Just imagine how much gas will cost in 10 years if this $h!t keeps going on.

Ok so we all know amsoil is the best right? Now i have two follow up questions:

1) What filter is the best. I've used Wix, motorcraft, and mobil 1. The tests i've seen show amsoil filter as best then mobil 1 and wis was far short of it suprisingly. But they did not test motorcraft filters which i hear have a very good filtration system.
For the money what would be the best filter option because if you dont have a good filter then it doesn't even matter what kinda oil you got IT'LL BE DIRTY!\

2) The reason i think mobil 1 synthetics are selling so well is because they are a true synthetic for a reasonable price. Amsoil has always been so rediculous in price that it just doesn't seem worth it. I noticed that 1 qt. of amsoil 5w-30 is now like $5.20 / quart which isn't horrible anymore...but then you have to pay like $7 shipping and their oil filters are $10-15 bucks. BTW, can anyone tell me what # filter to use on our vehicles? Their website doesn't list which filter to use on which vehicle.

kirkyg