My aftermarket rant:

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
http://www.midwestautogear.com/05_V6_Cover.htm

Ok, Credit where it is due. I opened the new issue of Mustang Monthly. On page 76 there it was, a GT engine plenum cover. Not a word about a V6 cover. I logged on to thier website ready to chew a$$. Surprise! I see a V6 cover "under development". I was shocked! I sent a email congratulating them, and promised to buy one when it is available. I dont think it is as sharp as the GT cover, but it still looks great.

Anyway here is my rant:

Exhaust: Lots of us have bought GT take-off mufflers. Someone out thier could offer us a dual option useing those mufflers. I dont want aftermarket mufflers, and I dont want to cut up my exhaust. I want a bolt-on system able to utilize the GT take-offs.

Intakes: I havent seen one that I like the looks of. Im not a fan of the big cone filter and a piece of metel. I want to retain my oem airbox and buy a nice polished tube to go from the airbox to the TB.

Mirrors: aka-elephant ears. How about the same style but 50% smaller. Look at the wind drag those elephant ears excert. Im not talking some cheasey APC crap. I want some oem quality mirrors that are direct replacements.

UDPs: They would outsell the GT pullies 2:1.

Rear seat delete: No kids in my house. Who uses the rear seat anyway. I could get one for my Focus, why not my Mustang?

I think thats about it for now. The 05s have generated alot of excitment in the Mustang world. I think we even converted a few GM guys.

Rant complete.

• Sponsors (?)

Theres been a rear set delete out since like last December.. MMR makes it:
http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_05.htm

UDPs have to be comming. Companies cater to GTs first, since more of them mod their cars than v6ers do. Especially in the first year or so with warranties.

The Mirrors are kinda gangly.. but I like them alot better having them painted. Doesnt look so cheap and plastic.

Intakes are comming, I guess. Keeping the stock air box you arnet going to see much improvement performance wise. Its pretty restrictive and doesnt flow air very well. Kinda small actually. C&L just sent their intakes into production. Maybe well see something good from them. Jay from JLT is still working on the problems that came with the GTs CAI.

If you're lookin to buy dual exhaust, its like 60 bucks total for two. I dont really know what you're asking for here.. Casco would probably sell you the mufflers+rear bumper pretty quickly.

Edit: Midwest audo has been pushing the plenum cover bacck a while now. They had a group buy organized over on TMS.. you might wanna check that out if you're interested.

So this didnt take long. My e-mail, and reply.

Hi,

>Thanks for developing a cover for us V6 guys. I saw the How-To in Mustang monthly on the GT cover, found your website, and was pleased to see the V6 version in development. My only comment is that the GT version looks much more refined and finished. I think that what sets it off is how the sides of the cover highlight the manifold runners. That detail is missing from the V6 version.

I will purchase a cover when it becomes available for my 05 Redfire V6.

Thanks, George

Hi George,

Thanks for your comments. unfortunately the V6 intake plenum is so narrow that if you try to leave the runners exposed it ends up looking very unorthodox. I did make my first model this way as leaving the runners exposed on the sides was a design cue that I wanted to keep. Trust me it doesn't look very good and that is why I went the direction that I did with the design. We look forward to seeing your order.

Dan

--
Dan Disch
Midwest Auto Gear
P.O. Box 350
535 Norton Drive
Hartland, WI 53029
262-367-8254 x13
262-367-8544 fax
[email protected]
www.midwestautogear.com

My aftermarket rant II

Twofocused said:
Anyway / my rant:

Exhaust: Lots of us have bought GT take-off mufflers. Someone out thier could offer us a dual option useing those mufflers. I dont want aftermarket mufflers, and I dont want to cut up my exhaust. I want a bolt-on system able to utilize the GT take-offs.

Intakes: I havent seen one that I like the looks of. Im not a fan of the big cone filter and a piece of metel. I want to retain my oem airbox and buy a nice polished tube to go from the airbox to the TB.

Mirrors: aka-elephant ears. How about the same style but 50% smaller. Look at the wind drag those elephant ears excert. Im not talking some cheasey APC crap. I want some oem quality mirrors that are direct replacements.

UDPs: They would outsell the GT pullies 2:1.

Rear seat delete: No kids in my house. Who uses the rear seat anyway. I could get one for my Focus, why not my Mustang?

I think thats about it for now. The 05s have generated alot of excitment in the Mustang world. I think we even converted a few GM guys.

Rant complete.

I'm with you focused, the V6 UDP (and lots of other V6 power goodies) are lagging way behind their demand. But the V8's have always been the 800lbs gorillas I suppose.

///

My rant has to do with the pricing of the 2005 aftermarket goodies ...

Anyone who's familiar with the previous generations [2004<] Mustang accessiories/parts knows that we (the 05+ Mustang owners) are getting screwed :notnice: on pricing with MOST of our parts and accessories.

Head to head, apples to apples, the price of 2005+ parts is much higher than the same parts for 2004< !

WHY?

Can you say "gouging"?