Progress Thread My Kenne Bell Twin Screw'd Foxbody thread, (new addition to the family)

• Sponsors (?)

Question to those in the "know". Should I use a header gasket or copper seal?
You should use nothing but RTV. Whether it's copper, black, or red doesn't matter much, as it all will work, and hold up until you remove the header the next time.

I use the copper RTV junk now. I used to use the red high heat stuff and it worked just fine as well. (I just didn't want red goo blobbing out of the space between the head and header flange.)

Ok ya'll I finished up my install. Got the new motor mounts, long tubes, h-pipe installed and thermactor delete (kind of).

The stock rubber mounts were cracked and worn out. I was getting some shaking while starting from a stop on occasion, this would be the culprit. I replaced them with some polyeurothanes. Old starter removed and new mini starter installed too.
100_1596.jpg

I had my car on the wheel carts and then jacked up the engine to remove the engine mounts and install the headers.

100_1597.jpg

Had to use my porta power to push the engine over enough to get the headers down in there. I installed the passenger side headers from above and the drivers side from underneath the car.

100_1598.jpg

I cut the thermactor pipe pieces off, flip the over and add sealant and bolt them back on to the back of the heads to cover the holes.
100_1605.jpg

Driver side installed
100_1606.jpg

Got the O2 sensor extensions from LRS.
100_1608.jpg

Everything went well as far as the install went. I did however find that just about every gasket is leaking on this engine. I'm afraid that my rear main seal may be leaking. When I removed my starter I found oil and gunk inside the bell housing. I will probably pull the entire engine and trans this winter and install all new gaskets/seals.

Reactions: 2 users
Driver side installed
100_1606.jpg

Got the O2 sensor extensions from LRS.
100_1608.jpg

Everything went well as far as the install went. I did however find that just about every gasket is leaking on this engine. I'm afraid that my rear main seal may be leaking. When I removed my starter I found oil and gunk inside the bell housing. I will probably pull the entire engine and trans this winter and install all new gaskets/seals.

Yeah, I'd say by the looks of that trans you have a rear main leak. Headers sure look nice. :)

The bad news? To repair that rear main, at least one of those long tubes has to come back out.

Turbo FTW!:poo:

...that's a first.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. It definitely took a little effort, but I did it.

went and looked for pics, but I guess I didnt take any. At the very most, I'd bet you could squeeze by with just loosening one of the headers to give you some more wiggle room. If I had pretty, ceramic coated headers, I'd do it that way. The ones in the car now are terds so I didnt care about banging them up.

The really difficult thing I'm dealing with is having to remove the engine to replace the oil pan gasket and VC gaskets, also pull trans to do the rear main seals then the "while i'm already here" bug hits you.
then you-
a) replace pilot bearing
b) replace clutch, flywheel & PP etc since Vortech may be going in so lets upgrade while I'm here
c) while oil pan is off I may as well upgrade to an ARP pump shaft
d) replace oil pump and pick up

wait, I already did all of this on my other engine and it's already all together and it's already has HP!! Why not just yank this leaky mofo and put in my other engine & trans?? I hate being in this position.

Got my hatch all buttoned up last night around midnight and was anxious to fire it up but couldn't find my dang keys!:fuss:
I ended up finding them this morning and started her up and she sounded great with the exception of some hissing coming from somewhere. I nearly sh*t a brick and went straight to the headers and was relieved that it wasn't them :D Turns out my 2.5" h-pipe doesn't like the stock sized cat back system and the flanges are not sealing air tight. I think it's time to shop around for some LX tails, I'm leaning heavily toward the S.S. Flowmaster 2.5" cat back system.