Progress Thread Nasty Ninety Notch

Nice! Glad it was easy, didnt think you'd miss a 4" frame bend...

I run kyb on the rear with eibach pro's and kyb with coilovers on the front. 25.75 rear and 25.25 front wheel lip 275/40/17 and 245/45/17 bfg
comp2s which run fat.

All MM stuff underneath

No rub, rear fenders are rolled - so you have allot of room to play with from 27"

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice! Glad it was easy, didnt think you'd miss a 4" frame bend...

I run kyb on the rear with eibach pro's and kyb with coilovers on the front. 25.75 rear and 25.25 front wheel lip 275/40/17 and 245/45/17 bfg
comp2s which run fat.

All MM stuff underneath

No rub, rear fenders are rolled - so you have allot of room to play with from 27"
Ok, so I'm going to end up at about 26.5" front and rear.

The seat back is easy to fix....take the seat back release lever cover off...take bolts out where the seat back pivots...the whole seat back comes out. Take the cover off the seat back pan and walla! You get to count the cracks. Welded mine up with a 90 amp flux welder from harbor freight....worked great. I should a used it as an excuse to buy newer used seats but couldn't resist the attempt at fixing it. [emoji12]

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE: Beat Out Bushings

Yea, replacing the 25 y.o. diff bushings.
IMG_1005.JPG

The seat back is easy to fix....take the seat back release lever cover off...take bolts out where the seat back pivots...the whole seat back comes out. Take the cover off the seat back pan and walla! You get to count the cracks. Welded mine up with a 90 amp flux welder from harbor freight....worked great. I should a used it as an excuse to buy newer used seats but couldn't resist the attempt at fixing it. [emoji12]
It's on my list of things to do. There is a great write up with pictures on the net. I wanted to get aftermarket seats but I think they just don't flow well with the foxbodies.

My car still has the scarlet red interior... None of the newer seats have it. So I'm cool with my decision. Great work on your build. I went with AJE for my subframe. Haven't gone the coil over route yet. Guess I need to make my struts bottom out. ( aaarrgghhh ) I think she saw me write this...[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87] [emoji108]

Update: Diff Bushings

New bushing are in the diff housing. No need to burn them out, unless you like fire. A 3/8" drill bit works great! Also, support the diff with a screw jack or something else sturdy. This will make re-install simple.

IMG_1006.JPG

UPDATE: Sag!

So close yet so far away. I guess I can't complain. I'm getting older and starting to sag. Why can't my car have some sagging? Yes, it's the dreaded foxbody front end sag (rear has it too, but not as bad).

Observed how the gaps between hood & lights increase..
IMG_1007.JPG

Up Close
IMG_1008.JPG

Observed how the hood is all the way down, yet does not contact the bumper. Also, observe how its fwd of the bumper. The bumper has actually sunken in & is sagging in the middle.
IMG_1009.JPG

After one of the techs observed that the adjusment for this condition were already maxed I ordered a header panel and hardware kit from LMR in order to correct the issue. So, maybe its like getting a chin lift?

My car still has the scarlet red interior... None of the newer seats have it. So I'm cool with my decision. Great work on your build. I went with AJE for my subframe. Haven't gone the coil over route yet. Guess I need to make my struts bottom out. ( aaarrgghhh ) I think she saw me write this...[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87] [emoji108]

Me too, and I cant get myself to want to change it, I like the tweed

Coming right along there, joetrainer

UPDATE: The droop is fixed!

Straight as an arrow thanks to a new header panel...

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

The old header panel, which I tossed w/o taking a pic, was the original. It had cracked in the middle at some point and someone had the bright idea to epoxy it instead of replace it. Clearly that wasn't working.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE: Reinforcements!

Torque boxes reinforced, Sir!

Torque Box Reinforcement.JPG

We also went ahead and replaced the spare tire cardboard then added new trunk insulation and seat to trunk insulation. Do it right or end up with a hot rattle trap!

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE: Clocks, Springs, and Mustangs

Old Blue had some issues alright. This time around there was no horn, air bag lights on, and no cruise. The problem was clear. The clock spring had failed. In this case it was not a simple R&R because clock springs, new ones, are no longer made for most fox bodies. Yes, Dorman makes clock springs and we bought one. However, it will not work as is with a 1990 Mustang. Oddly enough fox bodies look the same from year to year, but the are NOT the same when it comes to wiring and/or clock springs. Have a look at how we made this new piece work.

Old stuff removed...
IMG_1027.JPG

Have a look at the design difference. The new one on the left is supposed to fit this car. NOT!
IMG_1028.JPG

Top side of new one...
IMG_1029.JPG

Internals on the old one have 3 metal spacers, but not on the new one. Fear not, this can be overcome.
IMG_1030.JPG

After measuring spacers go to hardware store, pick up metal spacers, cut to fit if necessary, and use to mate old/new internals. Interchange pig tails as needed.
IMG_1031.JPG

Reassemble and drive car.
IMG_1032.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE: Rear End Business

Now that Old Blue is more road worthy it was time to swap out the pitiful 273s (car still burned out at will with those slug gears, crazy). Here is SoCal there is an absolute wiz and all things differential. He has been in business for 25 years, builds rear ends for the local Ford dealers and did the rear ends for the Fast & Furious vehicles. It's a little hole in the wall, but the family owned business is LEGIT: Ramjet Rear End
I drove the car in with 273s, one wheel spin, and, unknown to me, scarred up axles. Two and a half hours later I drove out with 355s, a rebuild traction lock with upgraded clutches, all new bearings, new axle bearings & seals, replacement axles, and a painted diff. Below are some pics in sequence:

1)
IMG_1040.JPG

2) Eddie -the owner/operator. The force is strong with this one.
IMG_1041.JPG

3) Drain the old...
IMG_1042.JPG

4) Only quality ingredients used here...
IMG_1043.JPG

5) Remove burs, smooth out edges for less friction
IMG_1044.JPG

6) Remove & Inspect old axles
IMG_1045.JPG

7) Better than new
IMG_1046.JPG

8) If one axle is bad replace both because this rear is 25 years old! FYI - Eddie prefers not to use new axles because they are usually made in China and are softer metal (28 and/or 31 spline). Instead he prefers good used axles as they are harder metal and will last longer. And, no, 31 spline is not needed unless your car is a (primarily) drag car and/or capable of lifting the front tires.
IMG_1047.JPG

9) I can see straight through
IMG_1048.JPG

10) I can see the red trans mount
IMG_1049.JPG

UPDATE Con't: Rear End Business

11) Disassembling the Diff. Yes, everything was hot tanked.
IMG_1050.JPG

12) Hammer that sucker! Funny, I'll be saying that about Camaros after this job is done.
IMG_1051.JPG

13) Old bearing & Seals out.
IMG_1052.JPG

14) Wipe out old stuff first...
IMG_1053.JPG

15) Spray clean like new 2nd...
IMG_1054.JPG

16) Friction Mod goes on all clutches & shims
IMG_1056.JPG

17) Make clutch/shim sammich and place on gears...
IMG_1057.JPG

18) Like new & ready for reassembly
IMG_1058.JPG

19) New bearings & seals in
IMG_1059.JPG

20) Super clean & new pinion seal/bearing
IMG_1060.JPG

21) Junior pressing bearings back on
IMG_1061.JPG

22) Grease & Reassemble the Traction Loc. Eddie prefers the Traction Loc for street driving applications.
IMG_1062.JPG

23) Hammer it back together
IMG_1063.JPG

24) Press bearings on the ends
IMG_1064.JPG

25) New pinion installed
IMG_1065.JPG

26) Ring going in
IMG_1066.JPG

27) The contact patch is good, dude
IMG_1067.JPG

28) Replacement axles in
IMG_1068.JPG

29) Everything is shimmed up perfectly the 1st time, no adjustments needed. The trick is to start with the old shims that were already working.
IMG_1069.JPG

30) Painted because
IMG_1070.JPG

31) Everything is in place, rear drums adjusted...
IMG_1071.JPG

32) Junior finishes off with the fluids & modifiers. Eddie QCs the car, I pay the man, and 2 1/2 hours later I'm driving home.
IMG_1072.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
UPDATE: In a Pinch

The problem is two fold: 1) The front sway bar [slightly] intersects the front oil pan drain plug when going over bumps. 2) The end links are not vertical. They are at a stretched angle and crushing the urethane bushings.

I'm sure this is due to the offset A arms that we needed. Originally we installed the UPR Tubular K-member with chrome moly A arms. However much to our surprise, and to UPR's surprise, the front tires intersected the front bumper, badly (pics in earlier post). To correct this problem UPR scratched their heads, shrugged their shoulders, and sent us a set of offset A arms they typically sell to QA1 owners. This corrected the front tire problem by moving the them about 1-1.5" back.

However, now that we have test driven the car we see the two new problems stated above. We've called UPR about these two new problems. This time they scratched their heads, shrugged their shoulders, and failed to come up with a solution. I'll have a tech working on this issue this week, but if anyone has already solved this concern we would greatly appreciate your insight. Is there an economical way to overcome this concern?

Oh ya, UPR did suggest removing the sway bar completely...on a daily driver....rrrriiiggghhhttt.

Joe,
I had to buy the off set A-Arms for mine after going to 17s. I have not had a sway bar on it for years, but have always intended on throwing mine back on. I'd be interested in what you figure out.