Need advice on Autometer tachometers

So I was driving today and my stock tach suddenly stopped working. The needle is now stuck at the 1,500rpm mark and won't budge. I installed some white faced gauges a couple weeks ago, and had to remove the needles, so I think that might have something to do with it. Anyhow, since the stock tach sucks anyway I figured that now might be the right time to invest in an aftermarket tach. I've been looking into the autometer phantom tach that goes to 10,000rpms and has a shift light. Summit sells it for $200. Would this be a good choice? Also, what do I need to install the tach? Do I have to order any wiring, plugs, or anything? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i run a sunpro tach but its the same thing. everything you need to install is in the kit, all you have to do is figure out somewhere to mount it. personally i wouldn't bother with one that goes to 10 000 rpm since your never really gonna spin the motor past ~6000 rpm on a stock bottom end anyway.

either way its a good investment

The install is pretty simple. Just 4 wires and a couple of screws to mount it. Here's mine:
IM000018b.jpg

Attachments

• IM000018b.jpg
    IM000018b.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,120
gcwh02 said:
im installing one myself. A couple Q's : I know one goes to the coil, and one to the ground, where do you guys hook up your hot wire? And how would I splice it in? Im a electrical noob sorry haha.

i used the illumination wire that is behind the radio, this way the gauge only lights up at night when you have your lights on

90_Red_LX said:
Is there alternatives to mounting a tach in your car that doesn't require putting holes in the dash? I'd like a more accurate readout but I don't want to mess my dash up if I want to take it out.

you could do what i did and mount it over the stock tach. it requires a smaller tach but its out of the way but still very visable

kind of a crappy pic but you get the idea
tachgauges.jpg

Attachments

• tachgauges.jpg
    tachgauges.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 163
88_GT_5_oh said:
you could do what i did and mount it over the stock tach. it requires a smaller tach but its out of the way but still very visable

kind of a crappy pic but you get the idea
tachgauges.jpg

Thats almost exactly what I was thinking. What did you use to mount it? I wasn't wanting a big tach anyway, I may not even put a tach in there, just a shift light.

Attachments

• tachgauges.jpg
    tachgauges.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 239