Need input...possible '65 purchase

88gt

Founding Member
Aug 2, 1999
Drillers cabin
Here's the scoop...I have the opportunity to purchase a '65 fastback. Haven't seen the car yet, but, when I do, what are the key areas to look at?

What I do know..
Been sitting in a garage disassembled since 1973,
two date correct 4 speeds, date correct 4bbl carb, date correct 289, two back glass', one each all other glass, needs new wire harness, two sets factory chrome wheels, new door panels-carpet-seat covers-gas cap, all knids of misc. small parts. I'm told there's no rust..but, again, I have not seen the car in person.

Thanks in advance for your input..

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

If the car is truly as cherry as you describe (no rust, lots of parts, body in good shape, stored for years) then the only thing I would look at is how fast can you get over there with a car trailer and cash? Seriously, you should always have a look at the floors of a vintage Mustang, the trunk and check for any signs of cowl rust. The first two are easy to check, the cowl requires pouring some water into the cowl vents ahead of the windshield as seeing wherit goes. It should empty behind the front wheels, not inside the car. Rust under the battery is also pretty common. Look for damage as well. If the front frame section has welds or looks bent, or looks like they've been straightened, it's probably seen an accident. If the price is right, I wouldn't get too fussy, fastbacks are bringing insane prices these days. If you're paying a premium price, make sure you look closely for signs of hidden damage, rust or repairs just as you would any used car. Buying a rusty car will make you sorry for as long as you own the car, but minor rust is almost a given. My '68 was garage-kept it's whole life and had low miles, but it still had a quarter-sized spot on the drivers door and needed the inner apron under the battery as well as the radiator support replaced due to rust. How about some pics?

Thanks for the reply!! When I actually get to go look at the car I will take the digi-cam and snap a few then post them. I think the car will be a steal for what he's asking (I'll let you know that if I like it enough to buy).

Thanks...

Good luck, it sounds like you may have a real "find" there. Here's a little perspective on how stupid fastback prices are these days: a few years ago, I saw an ad in a local paper advertising two 390GT fastbacks for sale. I called and went to see the cars. Both cars were very rusty, one had the floor cut out when someone who didn't know what they were doing started to repair the rusty floors. They were real 390, four speed, nine inch rear GT models, though. The car with it's floor intact (but rusty) was piled with parts inside. I remember seeing a pair of doors, at least two speedo/tach dashes and a couple pedal assemblies. There were four 428 (not 390's) engines that went with the cars that were complete with carbs, but all needed rebuilding. There was one rebuilt big block top loader and bellhousing assembly that went with them as well as a couple sets of rebuilt cylinder heads, and two pairs of big block Mustang exhaust manifolds. The guy wanted $5,000 for the whole thing, and I had the money. But didn't buy them because I felt it would take too much time away from my '68 to list all that stuff on ebay, I'd have to store it until it sold, etc. I was full of excuses not to buy them. I've been kicking myself everyday since then. I could have kept one of the 428's and installed it, the four speed and a nine inch (both were posi's) as well as the discs, tach and all the rare parts in my clone, and still probably doubled my money on ebay. My advice is to think of any fastback purchase as an investment since they are only going up from here.

If the car is disasembled, just lay on the floor with a flashlight to check the inner cowl. Other than that the only piece that is a bitch to change is the inner rockers, the rest of the car is pretty easy to patch.

Just do your best to make sure most of the parts are still there, can nichol and dome you to death if there is a bunch of missing parts.