Need Some Knowledge Please

Broken03GT

May 19, 2015
Hi,
So on my way to work today I was driving my car and everything has been running tip top shape. I got to a red light and stopped. My car is a 03 GT with the 5 speed for reference. I went to take off from the red light and the heard a grinding sound coming what sounded like the bell housing of the transmission, then it died. I turned the key to start it again and it cranked over but needed some gas to help it start. After it started it idled fine but when put back in first and given gas it immediately died. I just pushed it into the work parking lot and left it for the time being. Went back today and tried to jump it off of another vehicle, and a jump pack and nothing. The symptoms are the starter just clicking once and the headlights and dash lights will dim considerably. We towed the car around in neutral just fine no issues rolling, but tried to put it in first and fourth gear and the back tires were just bouncing like they were locked up. So my questions begin lol. Can you push an 03 GT stang in first gear and have the motor turn over and the wheels spin freely, or would the drivetrain prevent this? Is it reasonable to believe that maybe the starter is hung up on the flywheel and not allowing it to engage fully? I have not turned the motor via the balancer yet to verify that it is not locked up (partially because I'm scared too, just spent 8 grand on it) but that would definitely be an obvious no start situation. The motor has 5k miles and has never given me one problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

• Sponsors (?)

Wonder if your battery is so incredibly dead that it won't take a jump. It kind of sounds like your not getting enough charge to fully engage the starter. Take the battery, starter and alternator off the car and have them bench checked at whatever nearby auto parts store.