Need to hear some AOD to T5 success stories!!!!!

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Im currently undergoing the t5 swap, all the parts get here on Fri, and i already have everything out and ready. I was running 13.6s-13.8s at 102 with a 3000 stall and then i installed a Transgo and it shifted into OD at WOT and i went to 14.3 at 99, so that was the straw that broke the camels back. So anyway im wondering what the difference feels like, and what kind of performance gains you guys had from your swaps??? I realize that the driver factor now plays a much bigger role!! Should it be a big Seat of the Pants difference??? I was hearing the AOD is 50 lbs heavier and creates at 21% parasitic loss in power compared to the t5's 18% so hopefully i'll trap 103 maybe 104

• Sponsors (?)

Did it shift into OD even with OD switched off with the Trans Go kit?

If it did,that sounds like a serious design flaw.

The last thing you want is a shift into OD at WOT:eek:.

I don't have any times, but mine definitely feels faster and spins up a bit quickter. I only have the 3.31 first gear though. The 2.95 is even better. The swap went perfect and I had not problems. I did however blow the tranny up a few weeks ago though when I shifted into 3rd at 5500. Time for a rebuild. Maybe I'll get that 2.95.

well i did engine/transmission swap at the same time, but man, i love the T5. should i have gone with a tremec? yes...but i didnt have an option. driving you car is that much better...and quicker!

throw a manual valve body in it!

I did a manual to t-5 in my 91 gt. Made a difference when you are talking about something 400hp or less at the crank. when you get over 500 at the crank its time to stop :taco:-footin around and get a built auto.

sure you can be a banger if you want, that is if you are a weekend warrior, but if you are all about track times with that blower you are looking to install, should have prepped the auto.

auto's are cool but it takes three freakin grand to make a aod right and it still aint that good, viper t56's are not that much and you can put 4.10 in the bitch and still curise at low highway rpm, i likw auto's just not the aod, we need to figure out how to put a beamer 7 speed auto in a fox!!!!

Im gonna swap to an aod lol,I have a tremec,Yes you have more control of the car and you can get a feel for your power better this way.But I was under the impression that an aod is the way to go for better times?I dont goto the track,so I can only go by what others say.But under heavy accelaration with enough power,is the aod the way to go?I can see a stick at around 550 hp,But more than that ,Im thinking I want both hands on the wheel.

Don't have any before/after times for mine, but I can at least vouch for the durability of a T-5. Had the same one in mine for at least 125,000 miles (according to Carfax and other documentation) when the original owner swapped out the AOD, and it's still going strong without a glitch at all ... in a car with just under 250,000 miles on the clock. As long as you don't go power-shifting the thing or doing anything nutty with it, they'll hold up to quite a bit of power and make for lots of fun. Being that I was able to pick the T-5 up, myself, without busting a gonad and the AOD is so friggin' heavy that I'd likely get a hernia trying to lift it with a helper, I'd say the weight difference, alone, is worth the swap, aside from the lesser drivetrain power loss percentages.

However, getting stuck in morning traffic on Highway 60 in the morning = teh suck.

Well now Im seeing alot of people saying an aod isnt any good?What about a built aod.Say if you had around 900 horse,there isnt any benifit to having an automatic?Im not knocking any of you,im just curious,I always assumed the stick was out at 550+hp.Ive heard both arguments before and even though I love my manual,it seemed the auto made more sense at high power.If you had similar gearing in an auto as in a manual and set the shift points for redline or wherever you shift at,wouldnt the auto outshift you everytime?