New Guy With 65 Convertible A-code V8

northcountycruiser

Aug 14, 2015
Hello stang lovers. I've recently purchased a 65, and am about to begin restoring this thing. its poppy red, originally a manual, was converted to auto, but i'm going to put a manual into it. Planning on doing most of the mechanical work myself, although I will have the engine professionally rebuilt. last thing will be paint and body, that will also be professionally done. fortunately, this car has spent its lifetime in california, the last 20 years in a storage unit and it is free from any serious rust issues. even the doors, trunk, cowl and all the notorious rust spots are OK with some very minor exceptions.

The first thing that i'm going to do is replace the rear end suspension and brakes. easy enough, except for deciding what leaf springs to buy. ride height is so important. i'm planning on running 15" styled steel wheels with BFG radial t/a's. i definitely don't want any rubbing, and am not crazy about mustangs that look like they are sagging in the back, although i know this is more appropriate to the original look. of course i also don't want the rear end way up in the air. Prob going to buy scott drake leafs, just not sure which ones. Performance mid eye or standard. maybe mid eye, because i can always add the 1" longer shackle to push the rear end up if it's too low. planning on going with a 1" shelby drop in the front. any and all advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Sponsors (?)