New Seat opinions for my 66 coupe

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Washington, MO
I currently have the procar scat seats which I am not too thrilled with both from a comfort factor and how high they sit on the stock platforms.

My requirements are simple;

The car will have a cage in it and I would prefer the seats have the openings for the shoulder harnesses.

Simple black seat would be fine, no radical colors.

The seats need to sit low as helmet clearance is important.

What I don't want is an aluminum Kirkey racing seat as the car is driven on the street more than it is raced.

Also I have seen a couple coupes with the seat platforms removed and the seats mounted directly to the floor (I would fabricate a small square tube frame underneath for obvious safety reasons)

OK, send me your opinions and links if you have them

Thanks in advance,

Todd

PS - One seat I was considering was the Summit brand racing seat...

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Recaro Speed seat in my '65. Speedware Motorsports made a custom mounting bracket and, while it's a little higher than would be ideal, it's not bad and there's plenty of room for me (5'11") and a helmet. It's reasonably comfortable - I've spent about 2.5 hours max in the seat on a trip to a track, and wasn't cursing too much afterwards, and it's got slots for shoulder harnesses, although I just use a three-point ...

The only thing I have to say about seats with big thigh and side bolsters is, over time, they catch a LOT of wear on these points and tend to look really tacky.

Plus, your car isn't going to be hitting corners at 80mph.

Check out the seats Reen did on the '67 'vert in his sticky up top. I don't remember what they were, but they looked nice.

Oops, my bad, they're Scat Procar Elites, but with new covers. (page 23 a couple posts down).

I'd be interested in them for my '65 if I was a little closer to being done with it, but Big-Mac bit first. Of course, I'd come pick them up (so I could get a ride, hehe, I have an ulterior motive).

If you are trying to be legal at the track, I'm pretty sure you'll need a head rest. If so, the low backs will require a bar off the cage with a pad. I like period correct look too, soI'll be watching what comes up.

those seats look like they dont belong in a early mustang JMO. I will be running a cage, and my plan is (my plan, i hope it works) is to use my mach1 seats that i have (69-70) and some how fab up some openings like the seats shown for a harness. thats the plan. the match the interior and look like it belongs. if that fails then i will try the new 03-04 mach1 seats. i hope my idea works.

brianj5600 said:
If you are trying to be legal at the track, I'm pretty sure you'll need a head rest. If so, the low backs will require a bar off the cage with a pad. I like period correct look too, soI'll be watching what comes up.

As far as I know a head rest is not a requirement down to 10 flat, but you are supposed to have your seat back secured to the crossbar on your cage.

Another vouch for the Corbeau Cr1. Have had plenty of seat time in the cloth ones, not leather and I loved them. May not be what you're looking for, but pics don't hurt. When I can afford to fork out about 800-1000 bucks for two seats, 4point seat belts, and brackets, that's probably what I'll want. Plus I think they look right at home in there. Not my car below.

62_3.jpg

sdsaf.JPG

Really don't remember. I saved the pics from an ebay listing way back. Here's another pic. It kinda looks like he kept them.

cvb.JPG

This is another pic I got off stangnet years ago and I don't remember the username. It might be 65racecoupe or something like that, he had a sweet coupe if I remember right.

restompod651.jpg

I was thinking of purchasing the procar scat seats when I get to that point; what do you not like about them?

Alarus, I like the summit seats. What does kinda heavy translate into as far as pounds is concerned? Only thing is in AZ w/no AC isn't the place for leather or pleather or vinyl.

67Dylan said:
I was thinking of purchasing the procar scat seats when I get to that point; what do you not like about them?

Alarus, I like the summit seats. What does kinda heavy translate into as far as pounds is concerned? Only thing is in AZ w/no AC isn't the place for leather or pleather or vinyl.

Nothing wrong with the seats, it's my butt that doesn't fit well in them. I have a 38" waist and they just don't fit...

Plus I want a racier seat