TFS Stage 1 cam with 1.6s
Holley systemax
NOS big shot plate (not sprayed, yet)
75mm TB
1 5/8" shorties
Terminator X computer

Engine Dyno:
411 hp @ ~5.8k /399 lbs-ft

At first I was disappointed at the small heads and cam. I think the systemax intake uses a 1262 gasket and I don't know what the heads use, but I'd guess 1250?

But, I can't deny the result. Should make around 350rwhp through a manual. Simple OTS parts. Maybe something like this will be Black Jack's next motor.

How would you build a simple 302/306, these days if starting from scratch?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

How would you build a simple 302/306, these days if starting from scratch?
Today? Right now? On an N/A setup and upper plenum that is simple to remove/reinstall?

Solid lifter cam setup.

I haven't done one yet but I'm itching. I've been watching a lot of solid lifter street builds lately. I want to build a JY 6.0L LS for my Burban.

I can't do it on my Stang. The KB is a huge PITA to R&R every year.

Engine Masters had a episode where they took an engine that had a Hyd Roller cam and swapped Solid Rollers onto it.
It was impressive how much more power the engine made and how the engine was much cleaner at higher rpm's
The only question is, long term, how would it hold up. They are keeping the solid rollers in the engine to track reliability as they use it in future episodes.

Reactions: 1 users
Solid lifter would be interesting. I just have a feelin I'm gonna be doin one on Black Jack after spraying it's 200k mi (maybe?) shortblock. Don't really know it's mileage, but I'm still gonna see if it can take some lumps.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user

ace-ventura-pump.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Alot of the cars came with solid lifters when I was a kid, LT1 Z-28 cars I remember quite well.....
I remember it being a tiresome chore adjusting them... Seems like they always needing adjusting when I had no time to do it...
Decent hydraulic lifters being produced later on were a godsend in my opinion....
Have to add here these cars were our daily drivers....

Alot of the cars came with solid lifters when I was a kid, LT1 Z-28 cars I remember quite well.....
I remember it being a tiresome chore adjusting them... Seems like they always needing adjusting when I had no time to do it...
Decent hydraulic lifters being produced later on were a godsend in my opinion....
Have to add here these cars were our daily drivers....

Solid lifters have improved since then too. This has a lot to do with becoming a 'thing' now.

Done right, they should get checked once a year and sometimes/often require nothing. :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
You can run solid roller lifters on a hydraulic cam but the lash has to be tight. Google it and several guys are doing it but their hot lash is anywhere from 0.004" to 0.008".

Solid rollers will always make more power than a hyd roller.
Lifter weight, valvetrain stability and valve timing are the main contributors to such results.

• Agree
Max horsepower is not always the end goal with a street car.....
Two things came to mind when I read this:

The first thing is that the company we keep in here, already know this. You cannot survive in this forum long enough to reach 500 posts without learning this as gospel.

Do you think that converting to solid lifter in some way sacrifices torque for HP? We're not changing the cam profile. Consider this for a moment.

Also... Timing events with a solid lifter are a [lot] tighter. What do you thing that will to the torque number?

A hyd lifter is like a marshmellow. It dampens everything all the time. It is gets worse as the rpm's climb.
Throttle response and efficiency suffer from this.
Even the mildest of hyd roller cams can benefit from the use of solid roller lifters.
And yes, even the mildest of hyd roller cams would make more hp/tq with a solid lifter.

Two things came to mind when I read this:

The first thing is that the company we keep in here, already know this. You cannot survive in this forum long enough to reach 500 posts without learning this as gospel.

Do you think that converting to solid lifter in some way sacrifices torque for HP? We're not changing the cam profile. Consider this for a moment.

Also... Timing events with a solid lifter are a [lot] tighter. What do you thing that will to the torque number?
You became way too specific here.... What I am saying is that max horsepower is not always the best option for a street car..
Take the Boss 429, yes I was around one back in the day... The Large valves made for a POOR performing street car...
When, like most gearheads I want to think, I looked into a Cobra kit car... Never did get one, but have continually read reviews and stories about them...
A very common complaint and recommedation from owners is Less horsepower, Smaller engines are alot more fun in them... Too muchHP/ Too many Cubic inches and the car becomes " not fun " to drive.......

My " nothing ' engine in my car got a 500CFM 4 barrel, Summit brand for those interested. Could I have gotten more HP from a 600CFM?? Not sure, maybe, but from what I have researched the smaller one will be a better carb for the street....

This is what I was looking for yesterday and finally found it. Proof is in the dyno.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZTdo2-cGCM

Not a lot of power difference but when its usable power across the curve and kills valve float that is a win. I would say that if you already have a motor put together changing to solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam is probably not worth it unless you are reving it past 6500 rpm.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users