new to forum with a few questions for the vets

first time stang owner but have only owned fords:nice: i bought a 89 lx 5.0 a few days ago and i love the car but have found a few issues that im not sure what to do with..the car runs and drives great other then it needs new front rotors..the rear right side brake is not working atall..i thought maybe it was because the car had sat for a while but i drove it home about 60-80 miles and the rotor still has surface rust on it so i kno the caliper is not working..i didnt see a crimped line or anything so idk..it has the rear end out of a 96 cobra so 4 wheel discs and 5 lug conversion..also the amp/volt meter on the dash bounces around and the battery light flickers and the lights..i was thinking a voltage regulator but im not sure...im gonna be getting rid of the clutch fan and installing an electric fan,,should i upgrade the alternator as well? found a nice one from summit for $140 but its only 100 amp, is that enough? also i read the junkyard upgrade thread and im gonna find the intake and throttle body from a v8 explorer and im wondering if i have to upgrade the injectors???? i have more questions but ill wait for these answers..thanx in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You'll be alright with your stock 19 lbs injectors if you're just throwing on an intake and throttle body.

Hard to say what's going on with the brakes since it's an aftermarket system. Does it have an adjustable proportioning valve? If not, it's probably a bad caliper.

See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/808661-technical-thread-how-index.html for common tech threads. There's a thread in there all about 5-lug brake swaps by Mustang5L5, and there's also a how to on converting your alternator to a 3G, which is a 130amp alternator and is commonly found in the 94+ mustangs.

On electric fans, try to find something that's OEM in another vehicle such as the Lincoln Mark 8 fans, or the Taurus Fans. They pull more air, are more robust, and can be found cheaper than the aftermarket alternatives.

Just like Fastdriver stated take the time to read some of the stickies in the tech section and also in the talk section, we added a common questions thread that has alot of info.

If you want an electric fan go with a taurus, lincoln mark V or contour dual fan set up with a DCC controller or other quality controller. It is a very good idea to upgrade the alt to a 3g style although some have done this mod w/o changing teh alt.

I used a kit from paperformance they make very high quality alts and starters and have a 3G ready made kit for the fox..87-93 130A 5.0 Mustang Alternator w/ Power Wire.

If you can find a complete gt40 motor at the yard grab the heads also for later or the whole thing . A GT40P top end with stage 1 cam makes a nice little combo. but yes the 19s will be fine with the intake swap.

On alternators, I had a Jegs 100 amp Alternator once and it really was not much better than the stock 75 amper.

I upgraded to a 3G 130 amp and I can sit @ an idle with underdrive pulleys, lights on, and Flex-O-Lite Extreme Puller fan running plus stereo amp and other accy's and not pull the volt gauge down much at all as compared to the 75 or even the 100 amp alternators.

The 3G 130 is definatly the way to go!

For the brake issue. Sn95 rear disks are notorious for the slide pins seizing. Happens frequently when the car sit and water got into the pins. The caliper is working, but only inner pad is pressing.

Remove the caiper and check to see of slide pins move freely. You might be able to unstick the. You'll need to purchase a caliper hardware kit from auto zone that contains new rubber boots and hardware otherwise you may need an entirely new intermediate bracket for the caliper.

Just like Fastdriver stated take the time to read some of the stickies in the tech section and also in the talk section, we added a common questions thread that has alot of info.

If you want an electric fan go with a taurus, lincoln mark V or contour dual fan set up with a DCC controller or other quality controller. It is a very good idea to upgrade the alt to a 3g style although some have done this mod w/o changing teh alt.

I used a kit from paperformance they make very high quality alts and starters and have a 3G ready made kit for the fox..87-93 130A 5.0 Mustang Alternator w/ Power Wire.

If you can find a complete gt40 motor at the yard grab the heads also for later or the whole thing . A GT40P top end with stage 1 cam makes a nice little combo. but yes the 19s will be fine with the intake swap.

how can i tell if its a gt40 motor??? and ill for sure take advantage of the ideas...thank you very much..what does the 3g swap consist of??? you guys are badass i really appreciate all your help:nice:

Just ask if it's an explorer motor.

Another way is to find a couple of pictures online of what an explorer intake looks like. If the intake is on the motor, then so are the heads.

o ok im sorry..i didnt know you were refering to the explorer motor..so alont with the intake and t-body i should grabe the heads off it also..gotcha what else should i keep in mind when doing this swap..i work at livernois motorsports so checking the condition of the heads wont be a problem..i really appreciate all your help..i have worked on cars for along time but never really anything internal like heads and what not...if you have any ideas or other info please feel free to share..add me to your friends so i can follow your posts and threads..i have trust in your information..thank you:nice:

Sly,
You work at Livernois and you're asking US about your Mustang. No offense but I think if you walk out into the shop there, you'll find at least a dozen guys that know these cars inside and out.
Not sure which location you're at but they used to do all the race cars and customer tuning work in the building on Gulley south of Michigan Ave. in Dearborn Hts.
Friend of mine took his brand new '03 Cobra there and wanted 500 hp. They asked 'is that all'... a ported blower, TB, recalbrated MAF, injectors and a tune later he had 500 hp/500 ft lbs.

Good Luck!