nEW USER...NEEDING SOME HELP

PINK_TACO

Jan 2, 2004
wELL, i'D LIKE TO START OFF BY TELLING YOU WHAT I HAVE. I HAVE A 2004 mUSTANG gt 4.6L (CAPS, SORRY) 40th ann. package. I have been a chevy girl all my life and also have a 1972 Chevelle. But when I was in the market for a new car, I decided that chevy hasn't put oout a decent muscle/sports car with more than 2 seats for years. Anyways, I bought it, Dark Shadow gray, all leather auto tranny (cause i don't like driving a stick). I bought it Sept. 03, and i am ready to mod. I would like to put on some flowmaster exhaust and make my car sound like it drives. No fart pipes, just powerful, don't F with me kind of sound. My only worry is voiding the warranty and passing DEQ. I would also like some suggestions as to how I can make it shift harder, goping from 1st to 2nd, it kind of dogs out, but i don't want to chip it, not yet anyways. Any suggestions you have would be great, as my freind that has a '67 Camaro is ready for racing already at Portland international and I wantto be sure I can whip her a$$ before I get to the track. thanks so much.

• Sponsors (?)

PINK_TACO said:
wELL, i'D LIKE TO START OFF BY TELLING YOU WHAT I HAVE. I HAVE A 2004 mUSTANG gt 4.6L (CAPS, SORRY) 40th ann. package. I have been a chevy girl all my life and also have a 1972 Chevelle. But when I was in the market for a new car, I decided that chevy hasn't put oout a decent muscle/sports car with more than 2 seats for years. Anyways, I bought it, Dark Shadow gray, all leather auto tranny (cause i don't like driving a stick). I bought it Sept. 03, and i am ready to mod. I would like to put on some flowmaster exhaust and make my car sound like it drives. No fart pipes, just powerful, don't F with me kind of sound. My only worry is voiding the warranty and passing DEQ. I would also like some suggestions as to how I can make it shift harder, goping from 1st to 2nd, it kind of dogs out, but i don't want to chip it, not yet anyways. Any suggestions you have would be great, as my freind that has a '67 Camaro is ready for racing already at Portland international and I wantto be sure I can whip her a$$ before I get to the track. thanks so much.

you're not going to void your warranty with a new exhaust, but however depending on your exhaust setup, you might need to switch to stock before you test your emissions, mufflers will not effect it at all.. the only peice of equipment on your exhaust that will effect DEQ is your cats..

to get it to shift harder, the most common mod that people are going to recommend here is gears and a new shifter, that would pretty much help you out alot.. but since your AUTO, you'll need get a tune/chip to help out your shifting..

my suggestions to help you out against her, torque converter, tranny cooler, gears, get a tune/chip, then do some engine bolt ons, and loose some weight, and of course get some tires! :)

btw nice name :rlaugh:

Do this (in this order):

-weld in some 1-chamber Flows
-buy some gears (or a shift kit)
-buy a high stall TC (or some gears)

With those, you're stang will sound like a MONSTER and the auto will MOVE! :nice:

Volldamort said:
Do this (in this order):

-weld in some 1-chamber Flows
-buy some gears (or a shift kit)
-buy a high stall TC (or some gears)

With those, you're stang will sound like a MONSTER and the auto will MOVE! :nice:

fosh1zzle, and for gear recommendations, I would say go for 4.10's, or even 4.30's..

yeah, your not going to get much performace out of mufflers, if you put an off road mid pipe though you will... or new headers. as far as the gears your best bet would be to put new gears in. This will also make your car feel and be much faster. aproximately 3 tenths in the quater.

Hi pink i welded in ravins z33 and i use a mac prochamber and it sounds awesome also here in ca. after you buy a new vehicle you dont have to smog it for 4 years and then every 2 years after that

Wills Black 98 said:
yeah, your not going to get much performace out of mufflers, if you put an off road mid pipe though you will... or new headers. as far as the gears your best bet would be to put new gears in. This will also make your car feel and be much faster. aproximately 3 tenths in the quater.

i think she wanted flowmasters for the sound, but yeah i agree, you'll get power out of new headers + midpipe and it will sound much better :nice:

jadesville said:
you're not going to void your warranty with a new exhaust, but however depending on your exhaust setup, you might need to switch to stock before you test your emissions, mufflers will not effect it at all.. the only peice of equipment on your exhaust that will effect DEQ is your cats..

to get it to shift harder, the most common mod that people are going to recommend here is gears and a new shifter, that would pretty much help you out alot.. but since your AUTO, you'll need get a tune/chip to help out your shifting..

my suggestions to help you out against her, torque converter, tranny cooler, gears, get a tune/chip, then do some engine bolt ons, and loose some weight, and of course get some tires! :)

btw nice name :rlaugh:

Yes, that what my plates say... PNK TCO. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. I had planned on getting a torque convertor installed, until my dealership told me that it would void my warranty. I couldn"t beleive it> i WAS PISSED. It's *MY* car, so i figure i'll do whatever i want and they can bite me. I have 17 in. wheels and wide tires, i'm thinking about going upto 18's though. This is the first winter we've had snow in oregon in over 5 years, and I realized just how much traction my tires lack. I grew up i montana, and i know that tires make all the difference in the world if you plan on getting from point A to point B without sliding into a pole :bang: (it was a little dent, got it fixed) So any suggestions on a good tire for winter driving? I heard that getting tires siped makes alot of difference, but I really don't know anybody that has had it done and can attest to it.

PINK_TACO said:
Yes, that what my plates say... PNK TCO. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. I had planned on getting a torque convertor installed, until my dealership told me that it would void my warranty. I couldn"t beleive it> i WAS PISSED. It's *MY* car, so i figure i'll do whatever i want and they can bite me. I have 17 in. wheels and wide tires, i'm thinking about going upto 18's though. This is the first winter we've had snow in oregon in over 5 years, and I realized just how much traction my tires lack. I grew up i montana, and i know that tires make all the difference in the world if you plan on getting from point A to point B without sliding into a pole :bang: (it was a little dent, got it fixed) So any suggestions on a good tire for winter driving? I heard that getting tires siped makes alot of difference, but I really don't know anybody that has had it done and can attest to it.

the tq convertor will only effect the warranty of the tq converter and anything it effects, because its an aftermarket one, so if you blow a ring and take it in, it would be pretty much against the law for them to deny you repairs on it since its still under warranty

Michelin Alpin's and Blizzaks for the price, and they work well, you might wanna think about getting some chains too

When you mod your car dont tell the dealer keep all your old parts and if anything goes wrong replace it and take it to the dealer and play dumb but what you do dont tell them anything you should also get a new accufab plenum and 70 throttle body and a cold air kit so you car can breath you the think about puting gears and a shifter

Get the tranny mods installed somewhere else. Theres no way Ford would know and void the warranty unless, of course, you needed warranty work in the drivetrain.

BTW, we require a pic to allow this thread to continue :D :p

Ya, about that warranty... According to almost anyone at ford that i've talked to said that anything that you do to you car will void your warranty. If you touch your exhaust it will void your warranty, and they will try to void your warranty for anything... if you let them. There is a Magnuson-Moss act that protects comsumers from this type of action. http://www.ravelco.net/magnusonmossact.htm Believe me though, they will try to do it if you let them, unless you get a decent dealer :rolleyes:
I agree with volldamort and Jadesville about the shift kit, stall, and gears. It will give your car a real kick in the @$$. Though you will have to get a re-flash on your chip or get a new chip for your gears. :shrug: give a little take a little. I would probably have to go with some MAC flowpaths though :nice: but one chamber flows will probably be louder with your factory H, but you pick up the most in your exhaust with LT's and a midpipe.

God damnit people, quit whoring up her thread. Just answer her.

I have an automatic GT that runs low 13s. I have 4.10s, mac prochamber, 2 chambered flowmasters - 40 series, steeda underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, and just installed the precision industries torque converter (no times with the 'verter yet). My car runs really well with all of this and I suggest you do the similar mods to give your car more than just bark. Good luck!

RacerGT said:
God damnit people, quit whoring up her thread. Just answer her.

I have an automatic GT that runs low 13s. I have 4.10s, mac prochamber, 2 chambered flowmasters - 40 series, steeda underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, and just installed the precision industries torque converter (no times with the 'verter yet). My car runs really well with all of this and I suggest you do the similar mods to give your car more than just bark. Good luck!

we did answer :flag:

You can do bolt-on items that are easy to put back to stock if you have to ahve warrenty work. A good cat-back will give you sound and won't void the warrenty. If they try you can argue them down. An off-road h or x pipe is easy to install and un-install if you have to. If you have anything done to the tranny or rear-end they will void any drivetrain issues that may come up. Gears are by far the best mod I have had done to date. I have a 5 speed but I do know first ahnd what a stall converter/shift kit will do for and auto. If you are willing to take that chance then those are what I would go for.